changing the 1000's of TEXT on the existing drawing

vds002

I have around 40 Drawings and each drawing has round 30 instruments. Each instrument has a TAG(text name) (eg TI 1001, PT 0403). However our CAD drafters have put the tags as text and not as attributes. Now the client wants us to change the format in with the tags are (eg 1210TI 101A, 1329PT 205). Is it possible to generate a EXCELL spreadsheet from AUTOCAD---change the tags to new format ---import it back into AUTOCAD so that the names can automatically be changed.

I would appreciate if anyone can give some inputs.

I have around 40 Drawings and each drawing has round 30 instruments. Each instrument has a TAG(text name) (eg TI 1001, PT 0403). However our CAD drafters have put the tags as text and not as attributes. Now the client wants us to change the format in with the tags are (eg 1210TI 101A, 1329PT 205). Is it possible to generate a EXCELL spreadsheet from AUTOCAD---change the tags to new format ---import it back into AUTOCAD so that the names can automatically be changed.

I would appreciate if anyone can give some inputs.

You need to be more detailed and precise in your question. The before tag and the after tag examples mean nothing to anybody but you. Please supply an example of one tag with a certain number then show what the same tag should look like when changed.

It would help to know the pattern of the "tag" changes to create a routine; however a routine could be created that reads a file, and just replaces (all instances of) one text item with another.

File could be in a format like:

TI 1001, PT 0403;1210TI 101A, 1329PT 205

Odd Tagg 2;Renamed Odd tag 2

etc...

as above, a bit more detail would go a long way.

There are several ways of doing it and the best will depending on how many tags you have to change and how the new data is presented. Do you already have an excel sheet with the before & after tags or do you want to get all the tags into the spreadsheet and manipulate them all there.

Is the format clearly defined? Can you say the new tag will always be (for example) the 3rd to 6th letters followed by a space and finished with the first 2 or is there more to it than that.

When I last had to do this is was a simple matter of rearranging the letters that were already there so I wrote a LISP routine that allowed me to pick the text and the routine replaced it with the new arrangement. I think I had a few routines as there were some 3 and 4 lettered tags too but it was relatively quick to go around the drawing clicking on text.

I don't have that routine anymore though as we don't do our instrument loops that way these days.

Obviously if the conversion involves more than simple manipulation then this approach is not going to help you.