How do you draw a shape on the Z axis using the shape tool?

cvriv.charles

If I wanted to draw a rectangle on the z axis using the rectangle tool how would I do that? AC is keeping my shape on the X and Y.

I tried orientating the WCS but it does not work:(

I ma a litle bit confused about your question; I assume you wish to draw in the zx plane, or maybe in the yz plane instead of the implicit xy plane.

Rotate the UCS around the X with 90%%d using the UCS command. Draw the rectangle, return to the WCS (again, using the UCS command). The rectangle should be in the zx plane.

I ma a litle bit confused about your question; I assume you wish to draw in the zx plane, or maybe in the yz plane instead of the implicit xy plane.

Rotate the UCS around the X with 90%%d using the UCS command. Draw the rectangle, return to the WCS (again, using the UCS command). The rectangle should be in the zx plane.

Ok. You understand me but I'm not understanding you.

As I posted in your other thread, circles, rectangles, etc. are always drawn in the X,Y plane. In order to draw them 90 degrees to your current plane, you need to rotate your UCS.

For example:

Type UCS at the command line

Choose X

Type 90.

This will rotate your UCS 90 degrees around the X axis. Now you will be able to draw a rectangle perpendicular to your previous X,Y plane.

I will try that. Also,... to clear up my other question about drawing a 3D shape using the line tool. Say I draw a box using the line tool. How could I turn it into a solid so that it has faces? region command too?

I tried what you mention and the rec command is still drawing on the XY plane. I tried rotating all three axis's and it doesnt work.

to clear up my other question about drawing a 3D shape using the line tool. Say I draw a box using the line tool. How could I turn it into a solid so that it has faces? region command too?

Why would you do that?

Use the BOX command.

I tried what you mention and the rec command is still drawing on the XY plane. I tried rotating all three axis's and it doesnt work.

Yes, it will always draw on the XY plane, but after rotating the UCS, your XY plane should be 90 degrees to the previous XY plane.

What view are you currently in? If you are in "Top" view and you rotate your UCS 90 degrees around the X axis, the UCS icon should now be displayed as XZ and if you try to draw a rectangle, it will appear as a straight line because you are looking at it on edge.

Try switching to one of the isometric views and then rotate your UCS and draw a rectangle. You should see that it does work.

OOOOH, draw and then rotate the UCS. Gotcha. But seriously,... is this the only way? If I was to build a complex 3D shape wouldnt that be a lot of UCS rotating? How come AC doesn't work it like Sketchup does where you just draw on whatever axis you want? This is going to take some getting use too.

About the box question,... the box was only an example. What if it was something else that could not be built with a shape tool. How would you turn that complex shape built using the line tool and make it a solid so it has faces?