Building a PC from scratch to AutoCAD use.

RLory

Good afternoon to all CADTutor Team and subscribers.

First of all, I apologise my English since it’s not my first language so if I say something completely ridiculous that wasn't on purpose and I hope we can clarify any doubt.

I'm here to ask a few questions about hardware which I would be very grateful if you could clarify me about it, and I'm sure others like me can use this Thread to know what to do too.

I work mainly with 3D and unfortunately at home my personal computer is long gone in efficiency, which made think I definitely need a new one, but a proper one with proper hardware just for AutoCAD rendering for example, what I mean is (and more generally) can you clarify which parts are the best to acquire to build a proper PC.

I was thinking about:

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB (or similar)

RAM: 3GB DDR2 800MHz

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.00GHz

Motherboard: Nvidia nForce 680i SLI 3xPCIe

Either way, I must confess, has 3D fanatic I know I can go further with these parts.

Which ones would you advise me to acquire to have the best of AutoCAD 3D?

Thank you very much for you attention and patience to read this huge text.

Best Regards

R.Lory

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RLory

• ReMark

• Viper04

• tzframpton

I confess I'm interested to go to Vista, but I've heard if I stay with XP Pro I can get the best of it... either way maybe it's just different opinions but I thinking on Vista tho.

XP will only recognize a certain amount of RAM unless one tweaks the boot.ini file. This "fix" works well in a 3D environment. It's referred to as the /3GB switch. Vista will recognize more physical RAM without the need for tweaking.

XP will only recognize a certain amount of RAM unless one tweaks the boot.ini file. This "fix" works well in a 3D environment. It's referred to as the /3GB switch. Vista will recognize more physical RAM without the need for tweaking.

What happens with Vista not only because if it's potential to easy things a bit but it worries me in the amount of RAM Vista uses, and I'm afraid that will clash with detailing and rendering...

Ok, it's one of the possibilities and unfortunately one of the "usual" possibilities, but XP Pro besides feeling more comfortable with it I do realise sometimes it struggles a lot...

So, your advising me go to Vista or I'm completely wrong? lol

You're straddling the fence. Pick one.

I'm partial to XP Pro but there are other forum members who run Vista and seem very happy with it for the most part although the majority of complaints about the OS tend to center around "slowness" compared to XP.

I'd go with Vista, on a machine configured for 3d modeling and rendering you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The majority of Vista's problems have been addressed in service packs, and if you understand how to slim it down in msconfig it can still perform well. I think you are going to see a general move in the industry to Windows 7 when it comes out 4Q-2009 or 1Q-2010, and the upgrade from Vista should be relatively hassle-free, unlike the move from XP.

I agree with tin-head about the Quadro gfx card, they're specced for the 3D environment. I'd probably go somewhere in the 4-8GB range for system memory. DDR3 if the budget allows, and of course the motherboard must be compatable.

You might want to think about the upper limit of what you're willing to spend before speccing up a machine. Sadly a reasonable good 3D CAD machine is gonna cost you way more than the one you have listed. Remember budgets can keep going up & up, somewhere you need to set a limit.

As previously stated you would be much better off with a quadro gfx card but remember this will cost you much more than the an 8800 gt. Again your ram is not only quite an outdated bus-speed but also 3gb aint an awful lot. If i was buying a processor in that price range id be tempted to opt for the q6600 quad core instead. very stable for overclocking. Lastly the chipset on that motherboard is a bit outdated, 750i's are commonplace now

Sorry i dont mean to throw a spanner in the works. just remember, the better machine you opt for the longer you will be satisfied with it

Good afternoon to all CADTutor Team and subscribers.

First of all, I apologise my English since it’s not my first language so if I say something completely ridiculous that wasn't on purpose and I hope we can clarify any doubt.

I'm here to ask a few questions about hardware which I would be very grateful if you could clarify me about it, and I'm sure others like me can use this Thread to know what to do too.

I work mainly with 3D and unfortunately at home my personal computer is long gone in efficiency, which made think I definitely need a new one, but a proper one with proper hardware just for AutoCAD rendering for example, what I mean is (and more generally) can you clarify which parts are the best to acquire to build a proper PC.

I was thinking about:

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB (or similar)

RAM: 3GB DDR2 800MHz

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.00GHz

Motherboard: Nvidia nForce 680i SLI 3xPCIe

Either way, I must confess, has 3D fanatic I know I can go further with these parts.

Which ones would you advise me to acquire to have the best of AutoCAD 3D?

Thank you very much for you attention and patience to read this huge text.

Best Regards

R.Lory

Hi, how much you are willing to spend , you can look on Newegg.com where there's lot of choices. Go cpu in Quad core Q660 or 8200 intel, Gigabyte or Asus motherboard, with 8Gb ram to make it safe for rendering, ATI radeon 9800gt 512Mb or 1Gb,it's up to you on Hard drive (500 to 1Tb). And check it up Computer Forum where they help configure your chosen specification if it is compatible to all you have gather parts.Good luck in building it are you building it? Computer forum can help you in it.

You're straddling the fence. Pick one.

I'm partial to XP Pro but there are other forum members who run Vista and seem very happy with it for the most part although the majority of complaints about the OS tend to center around "slowness" compared to XP.

I that case I'll stay with XP Pro.

What do you have in mind for the hard drive(s)?

500Gb Seagate RAID per example but I'm still looking for the best option, besides being a good this like I said before I know I wont get the best of AutoCAD as I want from it...

I'd go with Vista, on a machine configured for 3d modeling and rendering you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The majority of Vista's problems have been addressed in service packs, and if you understand how to slim it down in msconfig it can still perform well. I think you are going to see a general move in the industry to Windows 7 when it comes out 4Q-2009 or 1Q-2010, and the upgrade from Vista should be relatively hassle-free, unlike the move from XP.

I agree with tin-head about the Quadro gfx card, they're specced for the 3D environment. I'd probably go somewhere in the 4-8GB range for system memory. DDR3 if the budget allows, and of course the motherboard must be compatable.

Cheers, you right about the DDR3 I confess tho that I can't afford it for now, but its in my plans to future.