• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• geussb

• BIGMIKE09281946

• sethtb1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two cages would have to be separated. The "key" that P-F had you insert into the footing would only be there if the pier was poured after the footing. Otherwise, if it were one monolithic pour there would be no reason to form the key in the first place. Additionally, to be correct, P-F should have had some rebar in the shape of an "L" coming up from the footing into the pier above to tie the two sections together when the pier was poured. But I guess they neglected to mention this as they must figure they are only trying to teach you AutoCAD not structural engineering. That's how they can get away with being "sloppy" in their project instructions.

FootingPierRebar.PNG

An example of steel reinforcement that might be used for a footing and a pier.

The two horizontal "mats" are comprised of #4 rebar 12" O.C. (on center) both ways.

The four vertical bars bent in the shape of a letter "L" are hooks used to tie the footing to the pier. The hooked ends keep the bars from pulling out.

The six square shapes with the rounded corners would be "bents". They tie the four hooks together and help to reinforce the pier.

The question for you is how would you draw the top, front and side views of this in 2D? Note the position of the rebars that comprise each mat. Four bars sit atop the three going left and right.

• 1 month later...

now im on Section A (plate 3) in the structural project, i cannot visualize what it should look like. does anyone have a screenshot of what the sections should be showing? it says that the drain is going 1/8" for every 1' but are we now learning the roof is sloped or something? i dont get it

It says quite clearly on page 14 of the instructions "The roof is also made up of a steel deck system. The top of the concrete slab, however, slopes toward the roof drain at a rate of 1/8″ every 1′-0″."

Considering you paid good money for this course I would contact one of the "professors" and request some clarification.

Please note that although I am clearly being sarcastic it is not directed at you. The projects for the Penn-Foster AutoCAD course are so poorly put together anyone working in the particular fields of civil, structural. electrical, and HVAC would undoubtedly laugh.