ACAD - download direct from subscription centre

Geoffers

...just had the letter from Autode$k offering product by download.

...obviously a 'green' method but I do like to have a disc... I suppose 'repair' will be on-line as well if no disc available. No waiting for shipping though....

What's the consensus - anyone going to choose download?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Geoffers

• Cad64

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not by a long shot. If you go that route then let us know how it all works out for you. Pros and cons. Most likely lots of cons.

You'll have to pry the disk out of my cold, dead hands.

This is the way I normally buy software. Download and burn to disc. It saves me from having to pay for packaging and shipping. And I don't have to wait for it to get here. I can start using it immediately.

What happens for instance if the download is incomplete or fouled up in some manner? What recourse do you have? Who do you call at AutoDesk to get assistance?

Does the terms of use allow for burning to disc or are you going rogue?

The terms of use, for the software I've downloaded, were that I was allowed to burn one copy in case a repair or reinstall was necessary. I haven't downloaded software from Autodesk this way before, so I don't know what their policy is, but I'm sure they would allow the same? I mean, if they are going to give us this option then they have to expect that people are going to want a cd as backup, right?

You're getting your pocket picked. I see there is exactly no price difference what-so-ever between downloading the software or getting it sent to you on disc. Assuming it is even marginally cheaper for AutoDesk why isn't the customer compensated in some way?

What if you do not, for some reason, burn a disc, then down the road you change computers? How would you make the switch? Would you use disc imaging software?

What happens for instance if the download is incomplete or fouled up in some manner? What recourse do you have? Who do you call at AutoDesk to get assistance?

When you get the link for the download, you usually have some time period, like two or three days in which to download the software. The link is good for that entire time period, so if something happens while downloading, you just start the download again.

You're getting your pocket picked. I see there is exactly no price difference what-so-ever between downloading the software or getting it sent to you on disc. Assuming it is even marginally cheaper for AutoDesk why isn't the customer compensated in some way?

What if you do not, for some reason, burn a disc, then down the road you change computers? How would you make the switch? Would you use disc imaging software?

Well, as I said, I haven't used this method with Autodesk products, but with other software companies, I saved a little money by not having to pay for packaging or shipping costs.

If you don't burn a disc, then you're just being foolish. You can't think that nothing will ever happen. Computer upgrades are common and problems do arise from time to time that require a repair or reinstall of the software. If Autodesk is not going to allow us to burn a copy of the downloaded software then I won't do it.

"If you don't burn a disc, then you're just being foolish."

I totally agree. And as long as the terms of use allow for it then there should be no problem. Thanks for information.

Yes, Holmes, immediately. May I respectfully suggest you follow the link which you are finding it difficult to read in the aforementioned letter-

www.autodesk.com/customerchoice

there you will find much elucidation.

I have just read this only applies in Korea, Canada and UK; I believe the former two countries are somewhere across the ocean Holmes...

(Aw, how can you work with them, do this, do that....)

Well I guess we won't have to worry about it then. They aren't even offering this option to the U.S. :roll:

that's a first then:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Well I guess we won't have to worry about it then. They aren't even offering this option to the U.S. :roll:

And for the luxury of downloading, they (the U.K.) get to pay more! That's why AutoCAD is so cheap in the USA. Thanks guys for subsidizing our CAD prices.:lol: Now, go drink some tea.

And for the luxury of downloading, they (the U.K.) get to pay more! That's why AutoCAD is so cheap in the USA. Thanks guys for subsidizing our CAD prices.:lol: Now, go drink some tea.

...so that is why our country is broke!

no can't be - US is broke too...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sorry Mods, going off topic