Navisworks question?

ANDY0871

I know navisworks isnt autocad and this is a cad site but I was hoping someone can help....We're working in cad and uploading to navisworks for coordination with other contractors. We wanted to try and measure stuff in the navis file. I know i've heard Navis isn't super accurate when measuring but I dont remember if that was the Manage program and if you can even take measurements with the Freedom. Does anyone know?

I Dont Believe You Can With Navis Freedom... With The Full Version "navis Review" Yes You Can Measure.. But Depends On How Precise You Need... It Will Give You "round-about" Measurements... I Have And Use Both At My Job... Although Using The Measurement Part Of The Program Seems To Be Kind Of Hard To Use. I Wouldnt Quote Prices, Or Use If For Bidding A Job.. But To Get An Idea Or Guestimating... Sure

It can be very accurate, it's just a matter of selecting the right object and paying attention to the xyz dimensions, not just the total length

I work with both also. I would definately suggest that if you need a hard dim, then use the AutoCad counterpart to measure with. Navis does have ability, but even in the hands of Navis pro it can be challeging. Better off safe then sorry.

• 2 years later...

I'm struggling with Navisworks, I mean it is great, but if I want to take a dimension from a pipe, or some reason it will not allow me to select to measure the diameter or radius! For this reason we usually convert to edrawings, which is not ideal.

• 1 month later...

Guys if you turn on Heads up display from the GLOBAL options/INTERFACE/DISPLAY and turn on XYZ axis and Position readout. If you turn both on you will have more joy. You can also turn on your snaps using the snapping function at the same place. Turn on all checkboxes. Now you can be alot more accurate and find edges and vertex of any object. :D

Old thread resurrected. Either way, khama is correct about the snapping.

This is how I set things in Navisworks Freedom, then free viewer. Click the Applications Button, go to Options > Interface > Snapping. Under "Picking" check all three boxes. Then on the Ribbon, go to View Tab > Windows > Measure Tool. (I usually undock this palette). Use the multitude of measure tools as needed. Make sure your Units are properly configured. These are the same tools as in Navisworks Manage.

And you can use these measuring tools dynamically, you don't have to click point to point in the viewable area. You can place a point, then maneuver around in 3D and place your second point. It works really well and has been very accurate for my needs, which is in the building industry.