Subtract solid without losing original?

CAD_e_shack

I spend a lot of time copy/pasting solid objects on top of themselves so that I can subtract them from another solid.

Is there a way to subtract a solid from another without losing the original? Or are there other more efficient ways of doing this operation?

Thanks

Enter DELOBJ in the command line. When prompted for the new value, enter 0 -this should take you where you wish.

Also there is a command called INTERFERE -it can be used to create the intersection of two or more solids, also without deleting them.

• 1 year later...
Is there a way to subtract a solid from another without losing the original? Or are there other more efficient ways of doing this operation?

Autodesk Inventor. Modern 3D programs like Inventor allows you to choose to Union, Cut or Intersect and elect to keep the original toolbody.

Toolbody.png

Cad-e: AutoCAD 2005 to Inventor 2011. Man, that is going to be some shock. And I'm not just talking sticker shock. I don't suppose you're a student are you? What kind of work do you do?