Help Making 2-D Templates in AutoCAD

benmasters

Hey guys,

New here. I joined because i have one specific question about using this program. I will be using this program to make 2d templates to trace onto wood to cut out longboard skateboards. Because i will be offering totally custom boards, I want the customer to be able to choose any size and shape. I have a vague idea of where to start. Could anybody lead me in the right direction? Heres an example from somebody else of what im trying to do. EDIT: AHH! sorry for that typo in the title, maybe a mod can change it?

38341d1226285977-longboard-shapes-w4.jpg

Im just looking how to:

1. make a center line that is x number of inches

2. What tools/commands do I need to know for make straight, and smooth curved lines.

3. How do I use said tools to make half of the shape (so i can mirror it)

4. See the cutout on the deck of the board with the holes near it? If i have a pattern for something like that, or a .pdf template, how can i impose it on the deck and make sure it has the correct measurments and is proportionate to the deck.

Thanks

Ben

You need to know how to use polar tracking, osnaps, line command, arc command, mirror command, circle command, etc. If you draw the deck at 1:1 scale and print it at this, you don't need to worry about scaling.

Osnaps allows you to easily connect two lines or object together so they align up basically. Polar tracking easily allows for you to project a lien from a point at a 90 degree angle or other angle etc.

In model space (where you draw it), draw it 1:1. So set the drawing units to centimeters (or metres or mm whatever you work in - through the Tools menu) and then if the deck is to be 60cm long, draw a long 60 long etc.

thanks alot. got any tips for the spline command? that one is a tricky ******. and also, is there a way to disable snaps for like 90 degrees, parallel ect..because when i get close to lets say 90 degrees it just snaps my line there even though i dont want it there.

hmm is ****** a bad word because thats what it censored?

Sorry, don't use the spline tool much myself. For osnaps (as well as polar tracking), right clikc on its button and you can change those settings there.

hmm is ****** a bad word because thats what it censored?

:huh: Well it was censored wasn't it? :?

In some parts of the world it is considered an offensive word, and since this is a global forum, it has been added to our list of swear words. In the future, please do not try to circumvent our swear filter by adding spaces between letters.