Educational version

Organic

I read that the educational version places text on layouts saying just that. If I then open a drawing created in the educational version in full autocad, can I remove those watermarks saying that?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• rkmcswain

• Organic

• AlinOz

No, it's embedded in the drawing. That is the point of the EDU version.

Think about it. If you could, then everybody would go buy one copy of commercial AutoCAD with which to plot and then just use hundreds of copies of the EDU version in which to work...

That contracting firm should be reported to Autodesk. By not reporting these offenders, and working around the watermark, you are helping to perpetuate the problem which could ultimately lead to Autodesk discontinuing the educational version. If this happens, students will have only two options. Either they buy the program or . . . . . . . well, I won't even mention what the other option is.

See here for further discussion of the educational plot stamp: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39060

Be aware too that if you use any objects created in an educational version of AutoCAD in a full (commercial) version of AutoCAD you'll also be "importing" the educational watermark right along with it. Now you have "infected" your drawing as it were with the watermark. Companies that have done this can sometimes be faced with trying to clean up (remove) the watermark from dozens of drawings. AutoDesk provides a tool to do this (via your authorized reseller) but you'll be on AutoDesk's watch list and probably receive a less-than-cordial reprimand. Repeat offenders may suffer severe consequences. Consider yourself warned.

Basically this is Piracy under another name. I'm a one man band who has managed to pay for a full copy (plus subscription) as I'm sure many of us are. Bottom line is the more we as a group condone Piracy, the more we pay for the software tocontinue to develop.

While I think the whole Licensing scheme sucks and it is extremely expensive, if you use it, pay for it!!! I've suggested this to Autodesk before, but I'd love to see a pay for usage basis employed - charge everyone a monthly fee for the time I actually use it. This would virtually eliminate Piracy as you would only need to pay for the time you use it. I only get paid for the time I use it!!!

Think about it - we're all connected these days - it can't be too hard for them to ping my AutoCAD to see if I'm using it???

Food for thought?

I'd love to see a pay for usage basis employed - charge everyone a monthly fee for the time I actually use it.... you would only need to pay for the time you use it. I only get paid for the time I use it!!!

What incentive does Autodesk have to do that? You and everyone else are already paying full price for a license whether you use it 1 hour a month or 24 hours a day... The market determines the price of virtually everything, including AutoCAD. If people quit buying AutoCAD, then they would change their licensing scheme or lower the price, but don't look for either...

Appreciate your comment, but come down under and you'd be horrified at how much we pay for AutoCAD - Sitting down? How would RRP of $ 7,040 plus $800 Subscription (But you can get it for $6K + Sub in some places). No wonder piracy is rife.

I guess the other issue is how much does Autodesk spend in trying to nail those pirates (Lawyers aren't cheap). Coming up with a method that totally defeats piracy just isn't a reality (Whatever one man maketh, another man breaketh) so, why not provide a cost effective option that will invite them to get on board.

It worked a couple of decades ago when Microsoft went from MS Word being $600 to the whole Suite being less than that. The whole world (well a fair percentage) changed when they could pay a reasonable value for the software and Piracy was reduced enormously...

It's just a vicious circleo:)

Appreciate your comment, but come down under and you'd be horrified at how much we pay for AutoCAD - Sitting down? How would RRP of $ 7,040 plus $800 Subscription (But you can get it for $6K + Sub in some places). No wonder piracy is rife.

I guess the other issue is how much does Autodesk spend in trying to nail those pirates (Lawyers aren't cheap). Coming up with a method that totally defeats piracy just isn't a reality (Whatever one man maketh, another man breaketh) so, why not provide a cost effective option that will invite them to get on board.

It worked a couple of decades ago when Microsoft went from MS Word being $600 to the whole Suite being less than that. The whole world (well a fair percentage) changed when they could pay a reasonable value for the software and Piracy was reduced enormously...

It's just a vicious circleo:)

If I remember right, Autocad is the no. 1 most pirated software on the planet. They do actively go after pirates, which is one of the reasons why the software is so expensive. So in essence, we the legal users of the software are paying for Autodesk to higher lawyers to sue the pants off of the pirates that think they are above copyright law.

I seriously doubt it is the most pirated software on the planet.

Yea, I'm guessing it's something more like Windows, which virtually every computer has... (No MAC comments please....:wink: )

I don't see how "pay as you use it" going to curb piracy. People who are getting it for free now are not going to suddenly start paying.

What other class of AutoCAD users are there besides these two?

1. Business users - the cost of AutoCAD is just like anything else you need (salaries, rent, insurance, etc.), just part of being in business.

2. Students - AutoCAD is available at no cost to students.

it is top 5 in most pirated software by companies, not most pirated software in the world.

Where is Windows etc, Microsoft Office suite?

I'm not alone in my thoughts - It would also seem that there are others out there that believe that the expensive software could be targets - from that article mentioned f700es "Though you also get to wondering if Adobe’s price points have anything to do with the software maker being a prime piracy target"

In our game, on the odd occassion it would be handy to do something simple in Photoshop for use in AutoCAD... Who wants to pay $2K for something that you use for 5 hours a year? Let me hire it for the time I need it and I'll be a happy chappy...

I know this comment is more aligned with the History section, but as I said to Autodesk Australia one day "Revit will never be as big a market as AutoCAD" and asked them if they could figure out why - the reply "It's too well locked down and it can't be easily pirated". Touche Autodesk... That's exactly why AutoCAD became the defacto standard - everyone could pirate it in the old days and they became proficient. As an employer, if you can only employ AutoCAD proficient Users, you'll buy AutoCAD - simple equation!!!

Oh yeah before r2007 it was all too easy to install ACAD on multiple computers. Just use the same code and off you go.

You also have the flip side of the coin. If you have all these pirated copies around and people are learning you see companies hire these people and then they usually buy the copies they need. It's a win-win for AutoDesk if you really look at the big picture. ;)

I gotta think games would be at the top of any "most pirated" list.

although I suspect its a smaller market. I am sure the "professional" pirates would rather crack and sell AutoCAD for a few hundred dollars than a game for free.

Who wants to pay $2K for something that you use for 5 hours a year? Let me hire it for the time I need it and I'll be a happy chappy...

I do agree with you partially.

Autodesk leases the software but says that you can't resale it or offer to buyback where you get part of your money back when you no longer need it.

'becuase of high cost associated with softwares, small companies are not able to afford it & so some of the software companies here are developing modules where you can lease the software on yearly base & stop paying the lease money when you want to stop using the software. so the yearly installments are more affordable solution to small businesses':)

I know my comments are not directly related to discussion but htought of sharing it with you.:wink:

Worldwide, US, UK, where...? I didn't see a link to this "SIIA" report.

I have to wonder how they compiled this info also...

Take it as you see it then.