Educational version

Organic

although I suspect its a smaller market. I am sure the "professional" pirates would rather crack and sell AutoCAD for a few hundred dollars than a game for free.

Yeah probably on a different list. Although the gaming industry is a multi billion dollar industry. I would like to see the break down of games sold for PC as compared to game systems (PS3, Xbox360 and Wii)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• rkmcswain

• Organic

• AlinOz

Take it as you see it then.

Then might thoughts are - if you only include the US, UK, AUS, CAN, etc. then AutoCAD isn't even in the top 100.

Then might thoughts are - if you only include the US, UK, AUS, CAN, etc. then AutoCAD isn't even in the top 100.

Again, whatever.

You are free to research this and disprove them if you feel the need to. It was a good enough answer for me at the time.

Again, whatever.

You are free to research this and disprove them if you feel the need to. It was a good enough answer for me at the time.

In places where the BSA and Autodesk have no authority, I'm sure AutoCAD is pirated at a much higher rate by businesses, but in most countries where laws protect companies like Autodesk, I don't see how AutoCAD is in the top 5. The general public doesn't even know what AutoCAD is, much less has a desire to use a free copy. The other stuff on that list is much more generic and has a broader appeal.

I can see your point of view but you also have to look at places like the Middle East and Asia where they know exactly what AutoCAD is and they have no problem pirating a U.S. companies software. Lots and lots of engineers in those places and they might use Acad.

...you also have to look at places like the Middle East and Asia where they know exactly what AutoCAD is and they have no problem pirating a U.S. companies software. Lots and lots of engineers in those places and they might use Acad.

That is my point. The percentage of legal AutoCAD in places like that is probably single digits...?

That is my point. The percentage of legal AutoCAD in places like that is probably single digits...?

Well it seemed to me that you were disagreeing with it being in the top 5 of pirated software? These are the reasons I do think that it is one of the top.

Okay, so how doe say MS Word, part of the MS suite, easily one of the most used packages in the world not make the list then? Heh, what about Windows itself even?

Okay, so how doe say MS Word, part of the MS suite, easily one of the most used packages in the world not make the list then? Heh, what about Windows itself even?

So many open source alternatives for Word that it might be making a difference. I personally would not give you a dime for Open Office but a lot of people like it. Abiword is a great alternative to Word.

As for windows since it comes with most computers what's the point. All Dell windows cds and dvds work with all Dells and so on with other vendors. I had to restore Vista on a laptop this weekend, it was an Acer a guy bought off ebay. Still had the Vista COA sticker on it so I used a dell Vista dvd and used the Acer number. Authorised it and all was good, nice and legal. I mean even the $300 base model models come with a copy of windows. The base Dell is $279 with a copy of Vista. I think the market is so diluded at this point. My opinion on it. Sure there are cracked copies out there, no doubt.