Error Message - Locked by AutoCAD

criehle

Does anybody know what this error message means? "Locked by AutoCAD or an earlier verision of AutoCAD. Access to the file is denied. "

A .dwl is a file that is created when you open a drawing so no one else can access the dwg. Rarely this file is not deleted when you close a dwg (e.g. crash) as it should be.. If it's present you can't open the drawing.Try searching for a file with the name of the drawing with a .dwl extension and delete it.

That's what happened to my dwg; it crashed. I searched for a .dwl file though and nothing was found? It created a backup and I deleted the backup because no changes were made that needed to be saved using drawing recovery. I did copy the file and past it to another location and was able to open the drawing. I guess that's my best option. Any other insights?

Try copying back to the original location again as a test and open it then post the results. I have some recollection that even though Autodesk left us with the DWL legacy that there is actually a flag in the DWG file at the OS level now that looks after the Drawing locking. Perhaps your copying of the file somehow unlocked that flag... This test will confirm or reject my theory.

• 1 year later...