Compound Miter in 3D

Bill Tillman

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the method for detailing compound miter in 3D. The square tubes which meet at the vertical posts in this fence require compound miters. I partially acheived what I wanted with SLICE but it didn't get the compound miter just right. I also tried SUBTRACT but that left me with an even bigger problem.

The attached filed shows the corners in question.

3d-decorative-fence.dwg

Okay, at least for this application I finally got it. The trick was to use SLICE two times using the same line along the horizontal to vertical tube interserction to slice the diagonal tube. The other part of the trick was to adjust the UCS accordingly before making the second slice. But it works and now the guys in the shop will be even more confused, because they want to just cut it square and fill in the gap with weld. Now you see how difficult it is when the rubber really meets the road.