File, Open - Dialog Box

Guest cninneman

Guest cninneman

A few days ago, I was working with a corrupted file (trying to restore it), and afterword I lost the dialog box when you open or save a file. When I try to open or save a file, the file path needs to be typed in, in the command line. I'm not able to browse for the file location. This is very annoying and time consuming.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get the dialog boxes back? I am using AutoCAD 2000.

Thank you

Chris

Enter FILEDIA at the command prompt. It will report the curent value of the sysvar with the same name. If it is 0 (probable it is) just enter 1 as the new value. It should work.

Welcome in the Forum!

Also, if you're faced with the command line version when you want the dialog box, you can force the dialog box by entering "~" (no quotes). That way you can finish what you're doing, and reset the filedia variable when you're done.

• 4 years later...

Yeah for some reason this happens here and there, no real reason I've been able to pinpoint down as to why it all of a sudden does this. Several people in my office have experienced this. It's one of those commands to remember (write down somewhere) as you will probably need it again.

Yeah for some reason this happens here and there, no real reason I've been able to pinpoint down as to why it all of a sudden does this.

Often times it happens because of a misbehaved lisp program that does not reset certain settings if the program crashes or is canceled out of. Look into any programs error handling.

An easy way to find the candidates for this is to do a Windows Explorer search of file types *.lsp containing the word "filedia" and see if there is an error handler that fails to reset the vakue.

• 1 year later...

How can I get my 2000i version to show the "Open" dialogue box in

Detail mode, not Preview mode immediately when the dialogue box opens up,

and not have to select the"Views" drop-down option to force it?

I know thats just one click, or two, but with hundreds of files to open, and my file names long, the preview mode hides the last of the file name, and I have to always change it to Detail or List mode, I want it to automatically be in that mode.

Is it possible?

Thanks

cad401k

I'm not sure, but I think that's probably a Windows thing. Something like "remember folder settings > apply to all folders" in Folder options.

2000i huh?

Yeah, I know, 2000i, sad, but I just started with this company, gotta live with it.

No, windows settings don't help it, tried it.

Not found in options either, file names too long to see in preview.

Thanks for trying.