floworks help

JoshC

I have been modeling an object for my university project and using flow works I have been slowly improving it for sme time. but for the final version and test I can't seem to get floworks to model it at all.

help.jpg

I have used a simple tunnel for the flow and the model fits inside exactly and used lids on both ends but either the software comments that there are no lids when they are lids or I cannot select the correct sides of the lids for the intake or exaust. is there a good routine that I am missing to remve these problems.

when you created your box/lids did you use merge for your parts? meaning are your lids actually part of the box or just there? Are you using flow works or flow express? FlowWorks doesnt need a box so im assuming you are using FlowExpress. Flow Express may not give you the resolution you want.

I see from your design tree that you need to rebuild the part.

When you are selecting the lids put your cursor over the end and right click, select other.

flow.jpg

flow2.jpg

flow3.jpg

flow4.jpg

here is what I dont get about what I am doing atm. I have done it several times and all have been sucessful and after several flow works and practical testing what you see above I am on mk 4.625. it was working perfectly before but for some strange reason it dosn't work now. I have used both the tutorial style of caps and your recomendations but still no results. I even asked my university lecturer and he has no clue why it has happend.

I would submit a picture but I dont have enough posts yet

well the problem you posted said you couldnt select the lids but the picture you just posted looks like a solved model. does this mean you got it?

thats the previous model which I have changed. it's just to show that I can do it. when I swap that item with it's improved counter part it just says that there are no lids and wont let me get any further.

not that it should matter but what are part 3 and part 4 on your model tree? are those your lids? Ive used multiple pieces of an assembly before an never had any issues but my lids had to be part(merged) with the ends.

Can you suppress your model and leave just the box and get it to run?

I've tried to have the lids merged with the model and still no luck. the tunnel it'self runs but not with the items inside. I've just had a thought, I'm going to run a bare model and start adding things and see when it falls over.

edit

only when I add

frontshroudmk4625.jpg

does the assembly assesment fall over. there is nothing hollow or missing sections and I've been checking every angle for any errors but none soo far

ive had them fail due to small gaps between the tunnel/part. does the step at the top of your part there have another component that fits in it? I know this may not be the result you want but try enlarging the box so there is space around your part and see if it will run.

Do you have flow works or flow express?

I've tried it in both and no luck so far. as for the gap around the side I have to have a close fit for the design as the end design will be places in a tunnel.. I've looked at every angle and just sent it down the lab to be made. there is nothing better than a practical test ^^. but thanks for the help

sorry it didnt work out josh. All my issues with flowexpress have been with small gaps. When you start a new flow setup can you click the Show Volume button, and if so does it fill the box in?

I have two ^^.

one with some mock cards, one with some mock cards inside a pc case and a fully functioning pc for final tests. although atm final tests are a long way off