How to print just an area inside the BIG drawing?

Butch

I have this big site survey, and I want to print or define and area that will be visible insied my drawing frame.

How to make visible just an area that I want to print so that I dont need to trim everything out.

Please help!

p.s. but I want my frame to be visible

framex.th.jpg

There a few ways to do this, depending on the way you work.

If you import the site survey as a x-ref you can use XCLIP to just show the part you're insterested in.

If you just want to print one part of the site survey, I would recommend setting up a Viewport in Paper Space, zoom to just show the frame and what's inside and plotting from there.

makes sense?

Plot - - and instead of plotting to layout or extents, plot to "Window", which allows you to choose an area/selection you want to plot.

Yes I alwas do that, but the problem with that is that there will be lines that will go through my frame to the end of the paper, thas why I said that I will need to trim everything.

sounds like a Viewport on the Layout tab is the way to go then - put your frame in Layout and create a viewport that just shows the inside of the frame,

Use a polygonal viewport (-VPORTS => P), set your scale, and stretch the vertices to match your bounding box in modelspace.

One question ore...hoe to print something thats on an angle for the horizontal?

Ususaly whan I print I slect Plot Area and draw the window around the frame. Now I cannot do this since I would need an rectangle thats inclined!

Help!

89726026.th.jpg

I assumed you wanted to keep the orientation the same (North at top of page). If you just want to rotate the viewport, you can either rotate the UCS about the Z-Axis and use the PLAN command. Or you can use MVSETUP. Read the helpfile on MVSETUP as it pertains to the layout tab (paperspace) for detailed explanations of the commands.

Dont understand very well :-(

What I want to do is to print the area thats inside my frame (in the picture above), "print window" and to be able to select the area inside inclined frame.

Heres the problem!

If I try to take the viewport with the title block and rortate it to horizontal line, then the image of the drawing changes...basicly the viewport is acting liek a hole that you see throu.

framep.th.jpg

Yes, that's what a viewport is. It's a hole that you see through. Just like in real life. If you cut a hole in a piece of paper and hold it up to your eye. It doesn't matter how much you rotate that paper, you are still going to view the world in the same orientation. All you're doing is rotating the paper.

Have you read the Help files as they pertain to rotating your viewport view using the MVSETUP command, as Maxwell suggested?

Here's a brief overview:

Command: MVSETUP

Enter an option [Align/Create/Scale viewports/Options/Title block/Undo]: A

Enter an option [Angled/Horizontal/Vertical alignment/Rotate view/Undo]: R

Specify basepoint in the viewport with the view to be rotated: (Select a point on screen. This will be the base point for the rotation to occur. Your view will rotate around the point you pick)

Specify angle from basepoint: (Type in your angle of rotation, in degrees)

Will read it and get back with the results! :-)

p.s. just one more quick question, sometimes the lineweights dont display at all in my layout, and sometimes they are HUGE?!

I went to display lineweight and checked it while I was in layout space but they dont show up very good, the difference is visible only if I zoom in very much. Can this be controled and visible like in the model space?

ok I tried the mvsetup, but when I need to type in the angle, wich I did, im my case I typed 20, I get unknown command TW error message?!

I know Im probably boring you guys, but this is something I must learn to do.

Look at the picture, you can see 5 drawing borders that are in cyan color. The only way to print this drawing with on my 5 papers is to use Layout for printing and use MVSETUP command?

Is this correct?

AutoCAD doesn't have many situations with only one solution, but if you don't want to alter the information in model space you will need to use a layout. If you're having trouble understanding the MVSETUP command and simply need it done now, try this:

Step 1) Activate modelspace in your viewport (double click inside the viewport frame)

Step 2) Enter UCS at the command line, enter Z to rotate it around the Z-Axis, and enter the desired rotation angle (remembering that AutoCAD measures angles counter-clockwise with 0 to the right by default)

Step 3) Enter PLAN at the command line and hit enter to set the current UCS.

This should set the view to the UCS you entered for it. Once you have the drawing rotated the way you desire, be sure to lock your viewport. Either by clicking on the yellow padlock icon on the status bar at the bottom or through the properties palette.

ok I tried the mvsetup, but when I need to type in the angle, wich I did, im my case I typed 20, I get unknown command TW error message?!

Unknown command TW? :?

Did you type TW at some point? :unsure:

Forgot the picture, 5 drawings in cyan.

50958896.th.jpg

Maxwell I did what you said and it worked like a charm! :love:

Guys would you also approach this problem of dividing drawing on 2 or more papers in this way or you have more smarter and experienced way?

p.s. Could I plot these 5 papers using the SheetManager?

Im asking this because Ive heard that you can only plot one layout thats inside of the .dwg file? Any cahnce Ive could define 5 layouts and print them out using the SM?