How to find the Area, minus the islands, easily

norbi_nw

Hi guys, i have a quite simple question. I have a 2D drawing, and have 3 islands in it, and i need to find out the area. I would like to select the big object, but without the islands in it, and LIST it.. now i know it is simple, find out the area by selecting the big one, and substract the areas of the islands. But the person form the company (not ours) want it simple.. :geek:

I ususally select the outer boundary then select the inner islands, type h for hatch, press the add objects and then hatch it, then get the area of the hatch. works for me. make sure it did not fill in any of your islands, if it id they are not closed.

I ususally select the outer boundary then select the inner islands, type h for hatch, press the add objects and then hatch it, then get the area of the hatch. works for me. make sure it did not fill in any of your islands, if it id they are not closed.

For this method using Boundary (BPoly) would be cleaner; eliminating the hatch from the process.

For this method using Boundary (BPoly) would be cleaner; eliminating the hatch from the process.

Oh okay, I was unaware of that command. thanks!

Oh okay, I was unaware of that command. thanks!

I take back my bpoly suggestion, it leaves multiple boundarys so further manipulation is necessary to get to the same place. Hatch would work better than bpoly.

The most straight forward method is of course Area command.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, if you need a drawing with only the countour lines visible and without the hatch, you can try doing the following - hatch the area excluding the islands, after that, double-click the hatch and pick "recreate boundary" in the hatch and gradient window and then when it prompts you to choose polyline or region, choose "REGION", it works on some objects but then again, it doesn't on others, but you can give it a try.