SLDPRT to DXF?

shift1313

I have no issues bringing dwg or dxf files into SW but i often send stuff off to be waterjetted and they like dxf or dwg files. They can work with iges files but said dxf is better because their software doesnt use iges files.

So what I have been doing is saving my parts as an iges file, open with inventor and export face as a dxf.

I feel like this was covered before but i did a search and didnt find it. Ive tried to save as .sat file with no luck(many different versions). they just dont have anything in them when opened in autocad.

So is there a one shot wonder to take my file or just a face to dxf?

when I'm usualy sending items to be made with a rapid prototype machine I have to send them as an .stl and then it's converted into the file the titan can use. what I often find is that I try and only convert from one file type to anther at the last possible moment. I know I'm not that experienced but I would work on it in the file that you prefer and then send a copy in the appropriate file to be waterjetted.

well the issue i have isnt with when i convert the model because i dont work on it in the converted format(which isnt totally true, sometime i delete some 3d data not needed for waterjet in the dwg/dxf format) . I can send stl files out to the rapid proto guys no problem. I have solidcam so i can create Gcode in Solidworks to run on our cnc and it seems like I can export every other file type except dwg/dxf. Unigraphics was able to do this and im sure im just missing something here in SW. The machine shop can use my iges file but he told me their omax software wont read it(i believe it cause i used omax before) so they take it into mastercam(which I also have) and convert it there. Its silly for them to do that. I frequently have issues with filetypes. I have to send them 04 and later dwg/dxf files. They are supposed to upgrade at some point so this wont be an issue for long i hope. This is really the second batch of parts ive taken from Solidworks to be waterjetted. Everything else ive machined in house but in the interest of time i sent some stuff out.:D Im not sure why i can I can export a sheet metal face but not the face of a solid part. Once i get done with this solidcam part im working on ill give a few more ideas I have a shot.

Thanks Josh and ramsay

Create a drawing with the view you need, edit drawing format and remove extranious stuff (borders etc), save as .dxf

That's quick, easy & never had a problem from suppliers.

You can also add as many different components as you want to the same file.

this is what my save as type looks like. and tif is the last one on the list. Ive tried doing it in an assembly file and also in a part file but it didnt seem to matter. Also inside a sketch, after the sketch was complete but not a solid, after it was a solid. The second image is the menu i have after selecting a face and right clicking.

saveas.jpg

saveas2.jpg

As you can see in the first pic, it's saved from a drawing and the option is there.

The second pic is saved from a solid, and the option isn't there.

dwg.jpg

solid.jpg

Ah, i see now:) I was under the impression that I could export as a dwg or dxf from a solid( i guess because flat pattern faces could be exported). I will give that a shot once my simulation finishes running. Thanks a million!!

well it works from a drawing file but i cant say that its exactly what I want but I can work with it. The drawing file requires a little extra work thats avoided in Inventor where i can just select a face of a solid part and export to dxf. The first file is from inventor with a solid part. second pic os from right clicking on the flat pattern in solidworks. I was hoping i could find something like that where I was able to select a face inside the drawing and export it. If this isnt possible then its not but it would be nice:)

exportface.JPG

exportface2.JPG

I see what you mean, it would be handy.

What I like about the SW way, is once you have a dwg open, you can place a view of any piece in your comp on it, so you have multiple files on the one dwg, then you save it as a dxf for the cutting shop with everything on the one file.

that is nice. I guess the way i do things i very rarely make a "drawing" file of my part. Its all solid models then i either make NC files off the part and run the CNC personally or I send a dxf out for waterjet. So thinks like very large parts or parts created in assemblies I will have to save the part externally or suppress the other components before saving. Its probably about the same amount of time to save as an IGES file then in Inventor just select the face I want, but the downside is now I have a sldprt, iges and dxf/dwg file.

Thank you, at least now I know how it has to be done so I can prepare for it. When you export as a dxf from the drawing as you did above, is there anyway to leave the border and drawing title block behind if its actually there? Or does it have to be deleted?

You can modify the dwg format and delete all unwanted stuff the save the format without borders etc, then save as a .dwgdot file renamed as what you need.

Then when you start a new drawing, just select that one.