Assemblies inside Assemblies in SolidWorks?

rymanvw

Hey guys I have a pretty large project that I am working on, with many different moving components. I have made many of the assemblies already and I need to integrate them together. I realize that I could put all the parts together and in one large project and it will work fine, but I don't really feel like doing all my hard work of mating everything all over again. Is there a way to insert assemblies into other assemblies and have the inserted assembly still work. So far every time I insert an assembly into another one none of the mechanical mechanisms work, it is just one large hunk of stuff. Is this possible? Thanks

how are you inserting your other assemblies? are you using the insert components button?

If you click on an assmebly or a new part you create you will notice an option that says Form New Sub Assembly Here. You should be able to create sub assemblies with out any problems but ive never tried to carry constraints into them so ill have to play with that a bit.

I have the same methods as shift and I will have to agree that there are always fiddling to do at the end of every stage. I like to get my assemblies together where there are joints. for example an engine. I would assemle the pistons in one assembly, then insert multiple assemblies into the block. even then it takes me a long time : /. the way I got my practice on these things was to find a complex assembly online then disassemble it and try to reassemble it again.