Student Needs Help!

f6096548

For part of my civil engineering course we have to complete a Autocad drawing. We were given notes but they are less than useful at this moment in time. I have a hand drawing which i have to turn into an autocad drawing with layers? i've drawn what i assume is the basic outline but after this i'm struggling. It doesn't really help that i can't read the drawing either. My tutor is off sick this week otherwise i would be asking for his help!

Can someone help my telling me where or how to start?

handDrawing.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f6096548

• Tiger

• skipsophrenic

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Create a new layer for each new type of element (dimensioning, text, holes, fillets, anything) the more layers the better.

2. Create a layer called HEPL (or help, if you're picky...I call it hepl because it brings a smile to my face) that you set as Non-plottable and that you use for help-lines. I recommend using XLINE (never-ending lines) and RAY (lines with a starting point but no finish) for help-lines.

3. I would use the dimensions given and draw up XLINEs for each of the hole-centers first.

4. Are you familiar with how to draw with relative coordinates?

5. Take a look at the Tutorials on this site, they might clear up some things - and the good thing is that many here are quite familiar with them, so it's likely that you'll get good help :)

thanks i'll delve right into that...i'm not famliar with autocad at all..infact today is my first time using the program. the assignment has been sprung on us at the last minute. Its in for friday and although its only worth 5% of course grade i would still like to make a reasonable attempt at it :D

Can u just tell me real quick if i've started this correctly? i'd hate to keep goin knowing i've messed up the beginning. i read the tutorial on drawing lines and think i've done it correctly

Drawing1.dwg

so far it looks good. I would create a layer for the Outer Contour and move the lines from Layer 0 to the new layer (click on the lines, and choose a new layer in the layer pull down lies).

Sounds strange to throw an assignment like this on you, if you don't have any experience in Autocad...

Looks good. I would take Tigers suggestion and set up some layers. You currently have everything on the "0" layer.

Keep on it.....

Just did a quick check with the DIST command, everything appears to be ok.

only thing i would suggest is putting the outline on a layer called CONCRETE - if i'm right in this being a reinforced concrete foundation?

Markings? on the picture in your first post? Not to me really - but I assume that someone resident to the US would understand better.

i'm from the uk...the picture is of piled concrete foundation i think. we haven't covered this stuff properly yet. i didn't know if they were dimensions for the size of the piles. i'm still trying to figure out how big to make these circles and what the hell the thing in the middle is!

i may just have to give up and concede defeat lol

the ends of the rebars should com no closer than 50mm to the edge of concrete, that's what the cove is.

Need a section for the pile cap, and same thing cover (edge dist 75mm)

the othe markings are to let the builder/contractor who's building it what size bars/how many and what type they are and what their position is.

the othe markings are to let the builder/contractor who's building it what size bars/how many and what type they are and what their position is.

If you take the text 4 Y 1203-300 T as an example it means:

4 (number of bars) Y (grade of steel bars - although Y is obsolete now) 1203 (unique bar reference, taken from a schedule) 300 (300 centres / spacing) T (Top).

If you have access to the university library look up BS8666, or detailing of reinforced concrete. Enjoy - I've been working on the same RC drawing for 3 days now...:cry:

If you take the text 4 Y 1203-300 T as an example it means:

4 (number of bars) Y (grade of steel bars - although Y is obsolete now) 1203 (unique bar reference, taken from a schedule) 300 (300 centres / spacing) T (Top).

I thought that the first two digits showed the diameter of the reinforcing bar