Pointcloud not showing in AC2009

a.tec

Hi,

i´ve been assigned to a project where we need an autocad model of a cellar with gas/water pipes in it. So my boss went ahead and ordered a 3D scan of the room, which was delivered the other day (kind of an overkill, isn`t it?). Together with the scanfiles they´ve sent me Faro ScoutLT from which i can export points and clouds in varios fileformats, from which the most interesting should be .dxf .

My main problem (besides the evident lack of Autocad knowledge) is now that the points do not show / render / are visible in AC.

I planned to model elements with "simple" meshes, guided by the scanpoints.

Hopefully someone can hint me into the right direction.

Kind regards

Artur

Hi,

I´ve got a test version of Geomagic 10, but it does not really satisfy me. The firm which delivered the cloud uses Microstation, which i don´t have.

In AC the cloud is only visible in the paper view, but not in the 3D views. Any suggestions?

Regards

Artur

im not sure how the data is utilized in Autocad. I have taken point cloud data from a faro arm and exported it until i ended up with a dwg. I think i went through an iges file first. Thankfully i was working with small parts(car parts) and i used the points as references to roughly model a few things. So unfortunately I have never tried to view the point cloud.

Cant you use Geomagic to export the cloud as something else? it will create a surface for you.

Cant you use Geomagic to export the cloud as something else? it will create a surface for you.

I´m just trying to get the things to autocad through an iges file and then manipulating it in geomagic.

What point style and size have you set?

in format->pointstyle they are set do dots with a size of 5%. When i change this setting, the depiction of the points alters in the paper-view, and the black 3d view slows down, and the cursor stutters, but i cant see anything but the black background.

Kind regards

Artur

Zipfile: home.arcor.de/h3d/dxf.zip contains

ladder.dxf // the pointcloud which inly shows up in the paperview

Pillar.dxf // a scan of a pillar converted into a surface, which also does not show up, atleast it is selectable like a picture in AC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Artur

your second file pillar.dxf comes in as 3dfaces so this is something usable. The first file that is the raw point cloud data I do not believe is going to be usable for you.

...which also does not show up

Both files open fine for me. The point cloud is a long way from the origin relative to the size of the scan.

Point Cloud.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far.

I can open the files, but as i said before, i cannot see anything in the model view. I´d be very grateful for a hint. Did i mention i am no expert in AC?:(

Kind regards

Artur

Do not set the point style to dots, because they remain dots, no matter how big you set the size%. Set them to something else, then set the size to 0.001 absolute units.

Then do a Zoom Extents, and you should see something. Then play about with the views. This is a 3D Front view.

LadderCloud.jpg

i see the pointcloud in both model and layout space.

to change the point style as eldon said you can go to your format menu and the heading point style should be there. Or you can type "ddptype" into the command line and the menu will pop up.

What are your plans for this? Im not sure what changing the point style will do for you model wise. I was able to see it in layout view without changing the point style(or i should say no matter how i changed the point styles).

If you need to make a model from this you will be better off using a software that can handle the point cloud and convert it to a surface/solid and then export it. If you just need to see it im not really sure what benefit you have in getting a point cloud model to start with.