How to cut part of an A0 drawing to a new A1

Skip

Hi,

Sorry for the newbie questions in advanced.

For many years I have used Auto cad to add symbols to creating construction drawings but I have just been stuck with doing a job and having to edit the original drawings first before adding the symbols to the layouts.

So far I am having the following problem to be able to prepare the drawings for new symbols.

Original Drawing is a layout at A0 1:250 of a large building with many areas.

New drawings are A1 1:100 of each of the different areas.

So far I have exploded the drawing to be able to select the parts of the drawings I wish to export. I then select them and try to copy to new A1 title block but when it does paste over the layout is to big to work with, (the few times it did copy I managed to see about half a door on the the new layout due to the huge size.)

I have enrolled for my local college cad course but this doesn't start till the summer so any help would be great.

so does this mean your whole drawing is in modelspace and you're not currently using viewports?

is there a reason you need to export these? can't you just use multiple layout tabs? editing gets really messy when you start taking bits out to elsewhere

Thats correct the whole drawing is in model space, I have no idea about using view ports or multiple layout tabs.

The only reason I thought I had to export was to get each new area as a separate drawing with a new new title block

set yourself up with a bit of paperspace - or layout tabs

import your border to the paperspace

add a viewport inside your border

set your drawing as you wish it to be seen

We probably have a tutorial on this elsewhere on the site as it's something many people come here looking for

OK,

Now I have the correct terminology of what I looking for thats great,

Ill start looking for the tutorial on this

When you say border is that the title block?

Yes, Strix is referring to your title Block. While it may sound complex when you're fast starting out, you'll find that it is a far more intuitive and useful methodology.

Just remember that your Layout Space is is your piece of paper you're going to plot to and everything is 1:1 scale on there. Your viewports are the ones that are scaled appropriately. Some people refer to viewports as holes cut in the paper to look at the underlying Modelspace Model. My analogy is that they are interactive monitors connected to video cameras located where you need them. This analogy covers 3D uses as well (Holes in paper theory can only relate to 2D).

When you say border is that the title block?

The border is the outline edge of the drawing. The title block is where you insert all the blurb telling the 'reader' what the drawing relates to

in practice these are usually bound into one template or block, according to the size of page you are to print the finished article on

most companies have one title block which is embedded into different sized templates with different sized borders to suit the different sheet sizes they plot at (did that all make sense? :huh: )

Some people refer to viewports as holes cut in the paper to look at the underlying Modelspace Model.
As an introduction to viewports it's useful to think of the paperspace as a picture frame, and the modelspace as the actual picture you're putting in the frame :)

Once you get what Strix is talking about under your belt,you might want to try xclip to remove parts of your overall plan that you don't want on your new scaled plan.

Thank you for all your help so far,

I might actually be getting somewhere.

I took on board what you said and I have managed to:

Run the layoutwizard command and set up a new paper space at A1 with a title block. @ 1:100

It then imports the model to the new paper space but i can only see a small section of my model, (just the text tittle.) and I'm unable to move it to see the rest or to get to the area I wish to display & edit.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong.

Also is there a way using thew wizard to let me select my custom title block it only allows me to select the two built in blocks i have copied mine in .DWT and .DWG to the same folder?

It then imports the model to the new paper space but i can only see a small section of my model, (just the text tittle.) and I'm unable to move it to see the rest or to get to the area I wish to display & edit.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong.

Also is there a way using thew wizard to let me select my custom title block it only allows me to select the two built in blocks i have copied mine in .DWT and .DWG to the same folder?

You can double click over inside the viewport border and that will make that viewport current. Now use the PAN command and pan the model around to show what you want shown. You can also go to PS by typing, what else, PS. Also at the bottom of the screen there will be a Model/Paper space toggle. Pick it once to go into the viewport, again to go back to PS.

To have your border as a choice you need to place your border in the same folder as the one defined in Options, Files, Template location. While there you can specify the template to use for new drawings and you can specify your border.

Back to the earlier question about showing the part of Model Space that you want. Another method is to stretch the viewport to find what you want and then move it back over the title block. Pick the viewport once, you will see the grips at each corner, just pick one of those and drag it out to see more of model space. Drag the opposite corner to reduce the size back to where it will fit on the title block.

OK that works great I have now set up all my layouts with my new title block, I'm really impressed thank you.

All i need to know now is how to edit the individual layout without changing the model every time I try to remove some detail from the separate layouts it get delete from the model as well.

I tried xclip as suggested earlier but to no avail.

I'm scanning my Auto cad 2008 bible but I don't know which terminology I'm looking for

All i need to know now is how to edit the individual layout without changing the model every time I try to remove some detail from the separate layouts it get delete from the model as well.....

If you change the Model then that change will be shown in the viewports. After all the viewports are windows into Model Space, you move or erase something and it will no longer be there to see through any "windows".

If you can't hide the items with the viewport then the next option is to place items on their own layer, and then useing the VPFreeze column in the layer manager you freeze or thaw depending on the layout.

Another option is to draw a pline in PS that can be any shape that might better show just what you want to show from MS. Now use VPCLIP, (follow the command line) select the viewport, now select your pline, original viewport will be erased for you.