Faulty file? or just too big?

fostertom

I got trouble - faulty file? Acad 2006 on XPHome on computer high spec 3yrs ago.

On opening with File>Recover, 2248 errors (fixed). Going through the .bak files, it was OK on 6.3.09 (2372KB), went bad on 8.3.09 (1760KB), but no prob was apparent - I kept working till today 11.3.09 (KBs fluctuated greatly up to 2229KB, currently 1650KB).

There were some RAs lasting a minute, but now it's slowed to a crawl - on one paperspace view, pans and zooms reluctantly, in jumps. Opening a view takes minutes. Trying to open other .dwgs, Insufficient Memory messages.

Not sure how to post a .dwg for examination - too big? I guess I'm pushing it - 5 floor plans incl hatching, as Blocks, each in 5 orientations, so 25 big Blocks in all. lots of Viewports in paperspace. No rasters. Many layers

In http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21317&page=2 ,dipali said on 19.3.08 'the file size will be too big in your method if the project is large size'. Is that it? What happens when 'too big'?

Looking again at dipali's suggested method with elevations 'pinwheeled' around each plan - how can you work on an elevation that's upside down?

Would file size be smaller, using Xrefs instead of big Blocks? 5 floor plans, 5 instances of each. Would each floor plan be a separate .dwg, each one Xref'd 5 times onto a master .dwg, where the elevations are drawn?

Are Xrefs as quickly and easily edited in Refedit, as are Blocks? Do the modifications show up immediately in the other instances, once saved and Refedit closed?

Is it OK to edit Blocks/Xrefs via the Model button, working within Paperspace? I did wonder whether that creates information loops.

when it's 'too big' it behaves as you describe and slows down

xreffing is the way to go by the looks of your problem

to work on a drawing with a view that's upside down, change your UCS

the rest is beyond me - sorry :wink:

Well, opening the file this morning with File>Recover, produced 'no faults', unlike last night, when all the faults were there anew each time I shut down the machine and reopened.

But this still happened:

on one paperspace view, pans and zooms reluctantly, in jumps
This view has 9 viewports in use, plus I had another 6 lined up alongside ready for zooming in on, and these were each showing the entire model (but tiny). When I deleted the 6 extras, zoom/pan went back to normal smooth-ish. Does this mean that in pan/zoom the machine has to compute 6x or 8x the whole model, if that's what's in the viewports? Does each viewport add to file size? Is that why it was taking minutes to switch to that paperspace tab - 'caching viewports'?

I am relieved that 4 days work is safe!

Thanks v much.

Thanks. Can I get it clear - is this how to do it?
5 floor plans, 5 instances of each. Would each floor plan be a separate .dwg, each one Xref'd 5 times onto a master .dwg, where the elevations are drawn?

After attaching Xref, select it>Refedit>click on highlighted Reference name>click OK, and I sometimes get:

Command: _refedit

Errors found in references to other objects:

** Object reference missing: AcDbXrecord, to AcDbDictionary.

*Cancel*

Even when I selected 5 files from same folder to Xref in, in one batch, all appeared on screen OK and all appeared in Xref Manager, but only 2 of the 5 can be Refedited and they're marked 'Loaded - recent changes' - the other 3 get the above message and they're just marked 'Loaded'. Neither Reload or Save path help. Did it again into a fresh master file, picked in different order, same 2 OK, other 3 not. Something wrong with 3 of the 5 source files? Most but not all other files Xref in OK.

Edit - on closing and reopening some of the files, all can now be Refedited. Why couldn't Reload achieve this?

After attaching Xref, select it>Refedit>click on highlighted Reference name>click OK, and I sometimes get:

Command: _refedit

Errors found in references to other objects:

** Object reference missing: AcDbXrecord, to AcDbDictionary.

*Cancel*

Even when I selected 5 files from same folder to Xref in, in one batch, all appeared on screen OK and all appeared in Xref Manager, but only 2 of the 5 can be Refedited and they're marked 'Loaded - recent changes' - the other 3 get the above message and they're just marked 'Loaded'. Neither Reload or Save path help. Did it again into a fresh master file, picked in different order, same 2 OK, other 3 not. Something wrong with 3 of the 5 source files? Most but not all other files Xref in OK.

from your description above the problem I guess could be is that you may have those 3 files xrefed into one of the five files also, for reference, in that case because of circular reference you may get error message. to avoid circular reference you need to use 'overlay' mode of xref in those individual files for inter reference & use 'ATTACH' mode of x-ref in master file.

another reson of the error could be 'those files are open or other drawing referencing alos those files are open.

Let us know if this help or give us more info & we will try to help.

I am goign away this afternoon & wan't be back untill monday.