vault library

silviu30

i try to understand the concept of vault library(the purpose of the library ,when should I use it )

can someone explain it in simple words for a novice user

Thanks

"When should I use it?"

According to Bill Frederick in an article he wrote for Cadalyst magazine (Feb. 1, 2008 issue) entitled "To Vault or Not To Vault, That is the Question, Part 1" the advantages to using Vault are:

-Access control

-Version control

-Automated shared file system

-Data security

-Versioning

If any of these items are of concern to you in project data management then perhaps you should investigate the benefits and pitfalls of using this type of software. I suggest that you contact your authorized AutoDesk reseller and sit down and talk about your needs.

• 10 months later...

Its basically a security centre for your files. Once in there, they're safe. You can only get copies to re-edit , always keeps the original of each version. It doesn't change the version numbers on your actual dwg (you'd need the next product up to do that) but if you need an archived version, you can use the Vault Explorer to get a copy of it. Everytime you check in a dwg the version is internally (in Vault) incremented.

Setup on another computer, you machine automatically logs in every time you start ACAD.

We tend to 'Check In' files when we feel the need, just as you would 'save' when you see fit.

I'd hate to go back to not using it. :)