zoom extents?

criehle

When I zoom to extent of the drawing it zooms all the out to where I can't even see my drawing. I don't know if I have a line way out in the middle of nowhere or if there is something else I did. I can't find anything to delete and I tried "purge".

Is this a common problem with an an easy fix or things to try?

When you've zoomed to extents press CNTRL + A an does it select anything in the "blank" area of your drawing?

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem as criehle, zoom extents goes so wide the drawing is invisible.

HOWEVER, it also does the same with ZOOM OBJECT, i.e. I select an object, Z O, and end up a thousand miles away in an odd location. It's different for each object I try this with.

I had a FATAL ERROR and recovered the DWG, it's been bad since then.

I tried PURGE, AUDIT and select all>delete (with layers frozen), got rid of a bad block record and other useless stuff, but there's clearly something wrong.

Any thoughts, or do I need to create a new DWG and query everything in one layer at a time to find the problem?

Map 3D 2008

Cheers guys 'n' gals...

WBlock out the parts of the drawing you want to keep. Start a new drawing and insert what you previously WBlocked out. What happens now?

a "quick fix" might be to WBLOCK your visible entites. See if the WBLOCK file is more stable.

I hate phones, I would have beaten Mark had I posted first then answered the phone.

however, you don't need to insert the WBLOCK, just open it! :)

This is usually the result of a drawing object being flung way out in space. How can this happen? Well, usually it happens during the move command when the user innadvertently hits rather than picking for the second point. It's a nice little quirk that has been around since for ever.

The trick is to find the offending object (or objects). Sometimes it's obvious but often it's not. First, make sure all layers are turned on and unlocked. Then start the ERASE command and select ALL. Then use implied windowing to remove the objects you want to keepfrom the selection. Complete the erase and then Zoom Extents again to check all is well.

Thanks guys, but surely this wouldn't make ZOOM OBJECT do the stupid things it's doing, as any offending object is not in the selection set when I do Z O?

ZOOM OBJECT should literally zoom to the one (or several) object(s) selected, not a seemingly-random thousand mile empty piece of space, different depending which object I select? It's odd to say the least. And I've started a new DWG querying in old layers to see what I can do, as I'm running out of time for my task today.

Could this have anything to do with SHP data I'm displaying, even though the display manager layers are switched off?

I have never used Z O so that's today's new thing.

Have you tried the suggestions? It sounds like a corrupt drawing to me so I wouldn't be surprised that it zooms off to some random point.

Dave, think you might be right re: corruption, will try erase all & remove, see if that works.

Z O is really useful, as is Z P (zoom previous), which as it suggests is like an UNDO for zooms, going back in sequence through your recent views.

Watch this space...

When you've zoomed to extents press CNTRL + A an does it select anything in the "blank" area of your drawing?

Nope.

Any layers turned off?

Turned 'em all on, went for a coffee whilst it loaded up most of the OS raster tile TIFs, came back, still no luck.

While in the Model Tab try

Erase > All > Remove > [select what you want to keep]

Did that, still no luck.

This is usually the result of a drawing object being flung way out in space. How can this happen? Well, usually it happens during the move command when the user innadvertently hits rather than picking for the second point. It's a nice little quirk that has been around since for ever.

The trick is to find the offending object (or objects). Sometimes it's obvious but often it's not. First, make sure all layers are turned on and unlocked. Then start the ERASE command and select ALL. Then use implied windowing to remove the objects you want to keepfrom the selection. Complete the erase and then Zoom Extents again to check all is well.

Knew this was a possibility, but when ZOOM OBJECT gave strange results I discounted rogue entities and am leaning towards corruption (though not as much as the Houses of Parliament :twisted:, I hasten to add).

I shall henceforth continue rebuilding a new dwg by querying in layers from the corrupt dwg. All I need now is a TARDIS and a self-cloning-machine and I'll finish my task by 5pm. Hark! Is that irony I hear?

Thanks anyway for your help, I'll let you know if anything exciting happens to fix the error. Though I fear something is rotten in the state of Hampshire.

have you tried the WBLOCK method Mark & I suggested yet? It was the tool of choice for this sort of thing in the last millenium.

I'm too far down the line of rebuilding the dwg by querying in layers from the corrupted one, so far all is well.

Much of my data is in SHP format, and that seems to have also gone wonky, just as well I saved the display manager layers.

I'll chalk that one up to experience, next time it happens (and no doubt there WILL be a next time) I'll try the wblock thing (though it takes so b####y long to switch on all the Ordnance Survey rasters, I might as well go home and come back in the morning).

Cheers Dave, mucho appreciato as they say in Italy.

"Last millennium" seems such a long time ago, when I were a lad all we had were 1s and 0s, and sometimes we didn't even have the 1s...

Just a thought, but what order of coordinates are you working in? If you have coordinates with large numbers, when you ZOOM OBJECT or EXTENTS, does the window include 0,0 as one corner?

Ordnance Survey GB_ORD1-MOD 1936 in metres. Hundreds of thousands of metres. Metres everywhere, messing up the place, vomiting on the carpet.

I don't think it's that, I'm sure I've blown a gasket somewhere on this dwg as it's got other painful symptoms. Maybe it's proven Fermat's last theorem and is doing a little dance inside.

Time for a lie down and a snack, I think.

is the object your selecting a block or xref? If it is have you checked to see if zoom extents works on the original? or does it go way out into space, if its a block or xref and the original is out in space when you select the block not to delete you also select the random out of place object.

I don't really need to use blocks or xrefs in my work, all objects are simple entities. The only external data are SHP files and map rasters.