exploding blocks that is external References

ALoock

I am currently working on a drawing done by someone else. There is a block in that I need to explode in order to modify it. When I select the explode command and select objects at the prompt I get a message '1 was an external reference'. What does this meand and why does it mean I can not explode it?

It means that it's an External Reference.

Type in XREF to open the External Reference Manager. THere you can see the External Refernces in your drawing and where they are saved. To modify the external reference, right-click on the external reference and choose open, then edit the external reference. Save and Close, and refresh the x-ref in the original drawing.

Thanks Tiger.

I understand that it is an external reference but do not understand what it is exactly. Does it mean it was 'imported' from another drawings? how and why do one use external references

Ok, crash course in External References incoming! :)

You import a drawing as a external reference (x-ref) in the same way that you import a block. But while a block is saved in you drawing, the x-ref is not really saved with your drawing, and as such it takes a lot less space. You can have lots and lots of x-refs in a drawing without it really affecting your file-size.

The other advantage of using x-refs is that since it realy is a link between two drawings, you can still edit the drawing that is x-reffed on it's own, and then you can just refresh the x-ref in your drawing.

For example, how I use it. I draw pipes in the ground. I get drawings of the land, I get drawings from the sewage people, from the phone company and so on. Instead of copying everything into my file, where I draw my pipes, I put all the files in as x-refs and then I draw my pipes on top of the x-reffed drawings. The good thing is that if for instance the sewage people come and say "Oh, we change the pipe layout, here's the new layout" - I can just remove the x-ref I have, and attach the new one - easy as pie.

I recommen doing some research on X-refs, they are real handy to use.

Not only are they handy but if you have lots of lay-outs to deal with they are essential.

Aloock, when you look more into x-ref's then make sure you understand the difference between the two reference types : "Attachment" versus "Overlay".

In general you are best with the reference type "overlay" because you won't run the risk of circular reference situations.

Also don't forget that if you have to send the drawing that you're working on to a client, for instance, and it has xref's that you have to either provide the xref's or that you have to create an new version of your drawing where you preformed the "bind" function on the xref's.

Also don't forget that if you have to send the drawing that you're working on to a client, for instance, and it has xref's that you have to either provide the xref's or that you have to create an new version of your drawing where you preformed the "bind" function on the xref's.

Best way to be sure you send EVERYTHING needed for the client to understand your drawing if there are x-ref's is use the E-Transmit option. :thumbsup:

I beg to differ

Etransmit is all fine and well but not only does it presume that the one making it knows what (s)he's doing but that the one receiving it does as well.

My experience with the last part is what makes me want to keep it KISS (Keep It Short & Simple)

E.g.: I even have had it happen that I needed to explain the concepts of paperspace and viewports to someone that supposedly was in charge of making and editing drawings and had be doing so for years.

Besides that is the fact that etransmit is kind of dangerous because it will bind drawings even if they are unloaded, or am I wrong in that ?

In short; "your mileage may vary" :)

I would agree that E-transmit, while a real good tool, is not something I would send to just anyone, just because I don't know if they would get what it is and how to handle it.

This sounds like I think everyone but me are complete morons, not my intention, not at all. But I have met too many people (and work with lots of them) that would be schtumped if faced with a Zip of files and no instructions.

And yes Peter, I think E-transmit will grab every file associated with yours, even the unloaded x-refs.