Layer Merge not working

reyems

I love the layer merge command for cleaning up drawings. Thanks to this forum for explaining this one.

My problem: Sometimes, although the command completes with no error, the layers do not merge together. Most times it works well, but occasionally I cannot get the items to move to the target layer. I have checked and I am not trying to target an xref'd layer. Are there other parameters, other than xref, that will not allow a layer to be a target? Thanks!

Have you tried purging the drawing before attempting a layer merge?

Are you using any content from a vertical product like AutoCAD Architecture?

No help but you're not alone...

I encounter this all too often, I select the layers to merge then select the layer to merge to, regenerates and nothing happens. It's sporadic with certain dwgs; if I copy/paste into a new dwg it works. Go figure... I guess I should contact Ade$k support about it.

no vertical product. I have tried the purge command and no luck. I did save the drawing, close it out, reopened and tried again. I was able to merge 2 of the layers I did not have luck with earlier, but not all of them yet. Thanks

Are all entities within blocks on layer 0? Do the layers that refuse to merge have blocks on them with entities on a layer other than 0?

I do not have any of the layers I am trying to merge set to current.

How do I determine if all entities within blocks are on layer 0?

"How do I determine if all entities within blocks are on layer 0?"

You can use the Block Editor command (Bedit). Refer to AutoCAD Help for further information.

• 9 years later...

I unlocked all the layers and the merg worked.

With any layers locked i got a dialog saying "y" was an unrecognized command