CCTV design using Autocad 2007

chanjaljacob

Hi all,

I am new to this website and am good to see all your postings. I am an electronics engineer and i am currently workin in a security system integrator company.

I have a project in which ineed to design a CCTV system.I went for a site survey and i have a certain plan with which i will go on with installation. But my manager is demanding fora drawing of the complete plan.

I have autocad 2007. I somehow managed to draw the outline of the site. Bu i have no idea how to include CCTV symbols in the drawing.\ and from where i can get those symbols???

I have to submit within two days. If anyne out there knows how to go with this task ,please help me, as the successful completion of this project only makes my job permanent. Please help!

Symbols are just blocks. Blocks can be created in AutoCAD. Or, if you are pressed for time, you can either find, buy and download block libraries over the Internet or you can search the website of the CAD Block Exchange Network www.cben.net for blocks relating to CCTV. Blocks at CBEN are made by individual CAD users and uploaded to the website. Blocks can be downloaded for free but CBEN requests the user to upload some of their own blocks in return (doesn't always happen).

If you know what the symbols will look like just draw them on your drawing one at a time once drawn, its just a simple copy and paste where you require them on your drawing also if you select the symbol you can then right click on it and select rotate to revolve the symbol to what ever angle you require, I will look around for you and i will upload here after dinner if i find any ok ?

I took a look around for CCTV symbols and was not able to find any that were specific to AutoCAD. One company boasts a library of 700 color symbols (more like raster images) but they were for use with Visio 4 and SmartDraw 5.

Just out of curiousity what typical symbols would you be looking for? I'm guessing camera would be one but having no knowledge of the particular field what other symbols would be required for your drawing?

Thankyou so much guys. I will try to create symbols of my own but is there any way in which i can save those symbols. Anyway i am so glad to know that there a lot of pppl who have the mentality to help others. thanku somuch.

Can u please tell me how to create legends?? im sorry , im just a starter thats why

A symbol is an object that can be saved as a block in the drawing you are working on. If you feel the need to have this block available for use in other drawings there are a couple of ways of doing so. One is to use the WBlock command and save it, as a .dwg file, to your hard drive. When you have need of the block use the Insert command to place it within your drawing. Another way to pull the block into a second drawing is via the Design Center. A third way is to put all your blocks on a Tool Palette and drag-n-drop the blocks into your drawing.

A legend is a list. The symbols you used in the drawing are shown and opposite each symbol is a description of what the symbol represents (a camera, a fence, a light pole).

• 1 year later...

I found many websites with symbols for Visio, but have not found any good CCTV symbols for AutoCAD. For sure it is possible just to redraw Visio symbols as a blocks.

• 9 months later...

The best way to design CCTV in AutoCAD is to use preset dynamic blocks - If you build blocks with preset FOV end width corresponding to the desired performance criteria (Identification - 1.775m, Recognition - 4.26m, Detection - 21.3m, Monitor 42.3m - EN 50132-7 or local criteria). you can then set up the blocks with stretch and rotate parameters allowing you to place and rotate the camera and then stretch the footprint to the target, or indeed place the footprint on the target and stretch and rotate the camera icon to find an optimum mounting point. Add linear and angular dimension and you will have sufficient information to calculate lens sizes. Place the camera icon, FOV footprint & dimension on individual layers so that you can switch them off as required. I also use wipeouts behind the icon and footprint lines to make the lines standout against a busy background.

The best way to design CCTV in AutoCAD is to use preset dynamic blocks - If you build blocks with preset FOV end width corresponding to the desired performance criteria (Identification - 1.775m, Recognition - 4.26m, Detection - 21.3m, Monitor 42.3m - EN 50132-7 or local criteria).

Other things I'd like to recommend is to calculate camera recognition/identification/monitoring zones using CCTV calculators before drawing cameras in AutoCAD. You can make such calculations using free evaluation version of IP Video Design Tool or with a similar software. In addition you can load your site plan as a background image and optimize camera locations by playing with camera sensor format, lens focal length and installation height and having recognition, identification, detection and monitoring zones shown with their colors.

So then you place you cameras in Auto CAD you can be sure camera positions are optimal. In addition you get 3D mockups for all your cameras so you can show them to your customer in advance.