3D Model to 2D

gblaylock

A friend who has experience with Architectural Desktop and another friend with experience with Mechanical Desktop tell me that they did not have to work with SolDraw, SolProp, SolView, or Flatshot to generate 2D views of the 3D model. Is this true? Are there better ways to generate views in other packages? Are those features included in AutoCAD 2009 or 2010?

Turn the question around and ask your friend what Mechanical Desktop uses as commands to generate 2D views of 3D objects. I, for one, would like to know.

For the moment I cannot think of another way to do what you want in 2009. As for 2010 you'll have to check out some of the pre-release articles written about new features incorporated in the soon-to-be latest version of AutoCAD.

BTW..it is SOLPROF not SOLPROP.

...Architectural Desktop ... Mechanical Desktop tell me that they did not have to work with SolDraw, SolProp, SolView, or Flatshot to generate 2D views of the 3D model. Is this true? Are there better ways to generate views in other packages? Are those features included in AutoCAD 2009 or 2010?

That is why companies are willing to pay more money for those vertical products. They make creating associative, parametric drawings from 3D models much much easier.

Actually MDT has not been sold by Autodesk since Feb 2002 and has been discontinued with v2009. Autodesk Inventor is the replacement for MDT and it is even easier to create 2D drawings - really slick. Should be able to cover the $1300 price difference in one or two projects and get so many things that simply aren't doable (like kinematics) in AutoCAD. Inventor includes AutoCAD for free.

The Mechanical Desktop guy said that he creates the model, then goes to paper space (layout tab) where he can access a "Drawing Layout" toolbar which has commands for "Multiview" or single views which automatically inserts the views from a "base" view. I don't use the program so I can't answer in depth.

A friend who has experience with Architectural Desktop and another friend with experience with Mechanical Desktop tell me that they did not have to work with SolDraw, SolProp, SolView, or Flatshot to generate 2D views of the 3D model. Is this true? Are there better ways to generate views in other packages? Are those features included in AutoCAD 2009 or 2010?

There are tools specific to Autocad Architecture that create 2d sections and elevations by simply running the tool, placing your elevation or section mark and where you want it on the screen, it then creates the elevation or section of the model you selected.

Very simple, easy to understand.

What type of 2d views are you looking for? Raster images, projected lines, PDFs?

For lines you can plot to ACADs DXB plotter and use the DXBIN command. It's not perfect as far dimensionally correct but does give a good approximation. -David