Cut a hole in a surface topo model

pdxdan11

How can I cut a hole in a surface topo model I have created from contours made from polylines. I have created a solid from the outline of the building I want to place on the site but get the message "filtered out" when I try to subtract one shape from the other. I have tried the interference tool as suggested in the mastering autocad book for finding the volume of a cut but no luck there either. Thanks to anyone who can help. I have spent way too much time on this seemingly simple exercise.

Sorry I guess I was not clear in my message. I have already moved the lines in the z direction, lofted them and created a topo surface. No problem with that. I just want to place the building I have modeled onto the site. To properly place it on the site I need to cut a hole in the surface so that it will sit level on the slope. I am sure this must be something that is done all of the time. How do most people place a building on a site that has a slope?

Sorry I guess I was not clear in my message. I have already moved the lines in the z direction, lofted them and created a topo surface

No that was not clear...

I am sure this must be something that is done all of the time. How do most people place a building on a site that has a slope?

This is site design - it all depends on the site, the building, intended use of the site, etc.

Why do you not post the data files for us to see? And the change of name??

Hey guys. Thanks for all of the response but I think 1313 is getting me mixed up with somebody else because the answers sound like they are for someone else. Anyway I am trying to figure out how to use your site and where to post questions etc. Please bear with me. This site is a little difficult to figure out. Anyway I am going to try to send my drawing so someone can show me how to cut a hole in the topo site I have drawn. I know this must be simple but I am having no luck with it. Thanks for your patience in advance. pdxdan11

ok the file is too large to send it is 7,873 kb

first question is how do i make it small enough to send so you guys can view it?

pdxdan11,

I think 1313 is getting me mixed up with somebody else because the answers sound like they are for someone else. Anyway I am trying to figure out how to use your site and where to post questions etc. Please bear with me. This site is a little difficult to figure out

I think I am confused enough about this thread that I'm going to let this one drop.

Pdxdan11, you posted your reply in the wrong thread which ended up getting everyone confused. Make sure you are in the right thread when posting. I have merged all relevant posts back into your original thread.

sorry i guess i will have to read the manual to figure out what i am supposed to do here. it is not very user friendly to someone new.

sorry i guess i will have to read the manual to figure out what i am supposed to do here. it is not very user friendly to someone new.

Really? :?

We do have many different sections for a wide variety of software applications, so just make sure you're in the right section, and in the right thread, before posting. The thread you replied to was similar, but was started by someone else, which is why everyone got confused.

Maybe you should take some time to browse around, visit the various sections and familiarize yourself with the site? :unsure:

Also, have a look at this thread on how to post: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23105

okay well that makes a bit more sense now:) it was very odd.

pdx. operations like Subtract and Intersect work for Solids and not surfaces. I think you can slice your surface but i dont recall off hand if that works in acad of not.

You can make a zip file and attach it. Right click on your file and you should see a Send To option on the menu and Compressed (zipped) folder. This will compress your file and maybe be small enough to attach.

thanks for your reply. i am hoping to not make any more people angry by placing questions in the wrong place. still not sure if this is the right place. anyway i am attaching my zipped file for you to take a look at. i read the thread hoss wrote but i am not wanting to redraw the entire site if i don't have to. ok the first problem is a message i receive when trying to zip the file. it reads: "for compressed (zipped) folders to handle zip files correctly, the application associated with them must be compressed (zipped) folders. currently this is not the case." i got the file zipped to a size of 7 mb but it still will not attach using the manage attachments at the bottom of this page. what am i doing wrong?

okay well that makes a bit more sense now:) it was very odd.

pdx. operations like Subtract and Intersect work for Solids and not surfaces. I think you can slice your surface but i dont recall off hand if that works in acad of not.

You can make a zip file and attach it. Right click on your file and you should see a Send To option on the menu and Compressed (zipped) folder. This will compress your file and maybe be small enough to attach.

no one is angry at you. We just got confused:) If you have a question that you cant find an answer for after searching, posting your own topic(like this) is the way to do it. Because your answer(in the other post) and the question from the other user were so closely related it got confusing is all.

no worries.

as for the issue of your file size. If there is anything in the drawing you can delete(and save a copy of under another name) that would reduce your file size.

Well I have spent the last 2 days just trying to minimize the size of my file by zipping it so someone can view it with no luck. I purged all unused layers, removed the building drawing, removed all xref files. Still I could not get the file small enough to include on this site. I am sending a PDF in hopes somebody can answer what I thought would be a simple problem which I still have not found an answer. The AutoCad book does not give any information which has helped nor the help section in AutoCad so this is my last try. I hope someone is available who has also tried to place a building model on a topo site. If anyone is out there who has tried to do this before please help. I have wasted so much time here and just want to move on. Incedently there is no happy face icon shown pulling his hair out

BrightwoodFinal3d Model (1).pdf

minimize the size of my file by zipping

Seems to me you have to have 10 posts here before you can attach files. Looks like you are on #7

Wait a minute, if you can attach an image that must not be the problem.

From your image it looks like a Slice with Surface option. Have you done the tutorials in my signature?