Splash image

yawdapaah

You can turn it off if you want, although not sure if you can edit it. Although it is quite possible you may be able to hack it a bit and display something else.

Previously posted at the AUGI forums by Steve_Bennett:

"To answer your question I finally had the time to dig this up. What you need to do is to substitute a custom splash screen (startup screen) for the default image, copy any Windows Bitmap (.bmp) file into the program root directory and rename it splash.bmp. The program will thereafter use this image at startup."

Two reasons;

1. I wanted to put an image of one of our companies projects as the default image.

2. To play a prank on a couple people at work:D.

• 2 years later...
Previously posted at the AUGI forums by Steve_Bennett:

"To answer your question I finally had the time to dig this up. What you need to do is to substitute a custom splash screen (startup screen) for the default image, copy any Windows Bitmap (.bmp) file into the program root directory and rename it splash.bmp. The program will thereafter use this image at startup."

I did a search on the C: for a file called splash.bmp because I assumed I would be replacing an existing file. The search came up empty. So I created that file, and put it in c:\Autocdesk\ASD_2011_English_Win_64bit which I would assume is the "root directory". It didn't do anything.

In early version it may of been a separate .bmp file but in later versions it's embedded in a dll. Resource Hacker may be needed to edit it. ;)

• 4 years later...

for 2016

open C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\AcBrandRes.dll in Resource Tuner, export RCdata/dib, save as bitmap, edit as you like and replace it back in dll.

You mean like this?

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?59960-Icons-for-2011-2012&p=406998#post406998

Very neat tip! :)

Haven't tried paint.net yet, I've always used Photoshop, or the built in icon editor... just made some custom, discipline splash images today for some folks in other groups (environmental, and transportation respectively):

attachment.php?attachmentid=28089&stc=1&d=1307595242

attachment.php?attachmentid=28090&stc=1&d=1307595278

I did that for our 2009 deployments, and am pretty sure that 2008 is the same - you use a resource editor to replace the OOTB splash within AcadRes.dll file in the install folder. :thumbsup:

Cheers

for 2016

open C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\AcBrandRes.dll in Resource Tuner, export RCdata/dib, save as bitmap, edit as you like and replace it back in dll.

I haven't tried resource tuner, but using ResEdit, and NX, there is only RC Data/144 - that said, replacing this image does not modify the OOTB splash, FWIW.

Now, RC Data/144 _is_ the OOTB splash, so it must be replicated from AcBrandRes.dll at some point (same for .\C3D\C3DBrandRes.dll), just not sure where (yet).

Cheers

BlackBox

bulls...

This is what i mean.

but I do not get what you mean... please explain, I'd love to understand.

tip... When saving dll save it to desktop, than copy paste to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\AcBrandRes.dll

and... dib is actually png, replace it with png and it will still show dib in reshack or other editor.

reshack.png

restuner.jpg

splash.jpg

Edited by ibach

... When saving dll save it to desktop, than copy paste to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\AcBrandRes.dll

It's been +/- 7 years since I last had anything to do with the OOTB splash, and ^^ this ^^ is exactly the reminder I needed :beer:

I attempted to edit the resource assemblies in-place (within the install folder, after making a backup of course, like I do with my Visual Studio projects), which was unsuccessful - copying the resource assembly to Desktop (or other owned folder), editing the splash, and then copying it back to the install folder works perfectly.

Cheers