Excel Table Data Link

johnv

I am trying to link a table to an Excel table and it does not seem to work. I have tried this several ways. The thought just occured to me that this is probably not supported in the version of the software I have.

AutoCAD LT 2009. Purchased about a month ago.

Am I correct that this is not done in LT? If not is this some known bug? I tried saving the Excel file as xls instead of xlsx and also as csv but nothing seems to work.

-JV

This works but I cannot paste as an AutoCAD LT object only as an Excel picture. This makes printing kind of a challenge. Also, no editing can be done in AutoCAD.

-John

I am trying to link a table to an Excel table and it does not seem to work. I have tried this several ways. The thought just occured to me that this is probably not supported in the version of the software I have.

AutoCAD LT 2009. Purchased about a month ago.

Am I correct that this is not done in LT? If not is this some known bug? I tried saving the Excel file as xls instead of xlsx and also as csv but nothing seems to work.

-JV

last week i posted a somewhat similar question but i am using ADT 09 and excel 2007 so whether the problem is common to LT i dont know. after many hours i did get it to work by 'pasting special' an excel table. however i think that it should be possible to edit the table in a drawing and get it to update the excel file - but it will not.

there are several sites with advice if you type in something like 'acad tables and excel' including the one mentioned above.

this probably does not help you as LT user but my question still is - should datalinking be bidirectional?

Datalink's will allow you to change the excel file, provided you have set them up that way. When creating the datalink, click the button to expand the advanced settings (A). To allow updating the source file, the proper box (B) must be checked. They will not update automatically, but if you select the table (crossing window: Write Data Links to External Source; Active cells: Datalinks -> Upload User Changes to Source File) will change it.

Datalink.jpg

Hmm, that really shouldn't have an effect. Can you post a screenshot of one of your datalinks?

will do - when i start again. Having given up for the time i cleared all my attempts (files, links etc) out... give me a few days... thanks.

Geoffers

The PDF you posted does not show the necessary options. In the first PDF the window with the title "New Excel Data Link: test data link" click the button to expand the window (labeled A in my screenshot above). This is where you will find the check box to control writing to the source file. Expand that window out, and post that screen shot (Protip: You can use Ctrl+PrntScrn to copy just the active window to the clipboard, you can then open it in paint and save it as a JPEG to attach to your post)

Thank-you for the suggestion.

I expanded the box as suggested. This did not change the failyure to preview the table as shown in your example. Nor was I able to insert the table. I played around with the options and pretty much tried all combinations. Nothing allows this to work.

Did you do this with AutoCAD LT 2009? Does anyone else have this software that could try this?

-john

3-23-2009 12-10-22 PM.jpg

• 3 months later...

You inserted the file as "AutoCAD table".

Try to select the cells in Excel. Then "paste special" in AutoCAD (with link or without link - embedded).

...just been brought back to this thread again by latest posting - and cannot understand why I posted the previous message.:?:?:?:?:?

Hopefully there was some reason behind the question but I can't see it at the moment. I'll go into a darkened room...:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

• 2 weeks later...