Delete Layers

repelectric

I cannot delete layers which I am not using. I opened new drawing and in Layer Properties Manager I have 21 layers showing that i am using them excluding layers "0" and "Defpoints". How can I delete them? I cannot Purge them.

Thanks

0 can't be deleted. Defpoints is kinda tricky, but its an AutoCAD created layer so it can't be messed with. The one way to get rid of Defpoints is to run the command line version of PURGE, obviously if the layer is not beings used.

0 can't be deleted. Defpoints is kinda tricky, but its an AutoCAD created layer so it can't be messed with. The one way to get rid of Defpoints is to run the command line version of PURGE, obviously if the layer is not beings used.

You can also draw lines of what layers you want to get rid of and type laydel and it will delete everything on the layer and the layer its self. Becareful it will delete everything on the layer no matter what!!!!!!

I apologize for not being clear I am not trying to delete "0" and "Defpoint" layers but the 21 layers which autocad saying they are being used. How can they be used if I just open new drawing from the scratch and those layers showed up on the Layer Properties Manager. I tried purge it cleared all unused layers but it did not deleted 21 layers.

thanks

I apologize for not being clear I am not trying to delete "0" and "Defpoint" layers but the 21 layers which autocad saying they are being used. How can they be used if I just open new drawing from the scratch and those layers showed up on the Layer Properties Manager. I tried purge it cleared all unused layers but it did not deleted 21 layers.

thanks

Try what I said and it should take care of the problem.

Probably some blocks that are referenced to certain layers. To really "clean out" a drawing I usually do a Ctrl+A and hit the Delete key. Then I run a purge. Oh and don't forget to delete/clear everything from Paperspace. :)

You can also draw lines of what layers you want to get rid of and type laydel and it will delete everything on the layer and the layer its self. Becareful it will delete everything on the layer no matter what!!!!!!

At first it did not work I guess i was doing it wrong and actually it worked the way you said it thank you I appreciate.

• 1 year later...

You could even do a "laywalk" to see what layers are being used on what objects, then do the above mentioned laydel with name to filter the selections and delete multiple layers at once.

In the case of AutoCAD MEP, most of those apparently unused layers are referenced in the Display and Style Manager. There is a layer for "liner hidden" for example, in every view. To truely have a clean drawing without all those layers, and to be able to purge those layers, you need to go through the Display Manager and get rid of or merge most of those layers set asside for hidden lines. The stock AutoCAD MEP templates are really bloated in the Display Manager.

Steven Micaletti

Virtual Mechanical

Design Build Software & Content For AutoCAD MEP

Edited by Tiger
removed adress

• 1 month later...
Guest fro2001

Had same problem you have to purge then aecpurge or meppurge just type mep or aec than keeping tab till you see purge in the name then purge again. ( also click the top left button and under tools or utilities is a mep purge button)

also open style manager right click on all the tabs and click purge.

if you know how it all connects together if have to purge in ceartin order to get all objects purged that are assign the layers. you have purge ceartin objects firdt to get to the one ones you want deleted.