issues with large file size

Stephen Shafer

Hello again,

So I am having to convert a 50MB dgn into a dwg so i can actually work with it. Ive tried directly importing but this causes acad to die. Ive tried combining smaller files into one big one but this too, causes acad to die (same issue i imagine). The final dwg will be about 50MB as well. Not really sure what to do here. Ive purged all that can be purged but I still cannot manage a workable file. Any solution to this? I am using a completely updated acad2009.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Stephen Shafer

• nocturne00

• CAnnondale

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are the specs on the computer?

When you say AutoCAD dies does that mean it fails to load the drawing completely? Do you get any kind of error message?

BTW...you might want to update your profile to reflect the move to 2009.

You might gain some benefit working with large files by utilizing the 3GB switch setting in your boot.ini file. Worth a shot if you haven't already made the tweak.

I enabled the switch and it did help performance somewhat. But it still crashes. I find it hard to believe that this is a normal situation for a file this size. What do engineers that design buildings and aircraft do? I cant imagine them putting up with this.

There may be other reasons for the crash independent of file size. Do you have a large enough swap file on your hard drive?

Swap file size? Still looking for an answer. Or do you let Windows manage virtual memory? Location of swap file too. Main drive I imagine.

A while back we had a discussion here along the lines of "what is the biggest file you've ever worked with". The answer for me was 34MB and that was using 2007 on a computer with 3GB RAM, an AGP graphics card with 128MB vidRAM, running under Windows 2000. It took a while but the entire drawing would load. I really couldn't work on it well unless I turned off a number of layers and made sure to work only in 2D wireframe as anything else (3D hidden for example) would slow the system to a snail's pace. Shortly after that experience I upgraded to my present system.

Dammit...you're way ahead of me.

Do you utilize hundreds of scale lists or layer filters?

What is Viewres set to?

Have you tried tweaking the hardware acceleration setting (lower)?

What other programs are running in the background (ex. - antivirus)?

What are TREEDEPTH and SORTENTS set to?

Is the Communication Center enabled or disabled?

Have you cleaned out empty or unnamed groups?

I have to stop. I'm getting a headache at this point. LOL

treedepth 3020, sortents 127, comm disabled, no apparent groups, i do have an AV in the background but it doesnt really effect anything, viewres is at 100, and i dont know about this layer filter or scale list thing

Layer Filter:

"A layer filter limits the display of layer names in the Layer Properties Manager and in the Layer control on the Layers toolbar."

Scale List:

"A list of scales available for use in layout viewports, page layouts and plotting."

Hi Guys,

Im a newbie here. BTW, I have issues as well with regards to large files. Currently, I have atleast 85MB file size purely 3D solid objects of structural and we just recently upgraded the computer to 64Bit with 8GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 1700 512MB memory. But, still when I open the file it takes so long to open and most of the time AutoCAD 2009 crash.

We have installed the SP and done a lot of upgrading and yet it is still a problem. On the prevoius releases we do not encounter such issue, not to mention just using the 32Bit.

Hope you guys can help us with this.

Thanks & Regards,

Cannondale