CMS intelliCAD good or bad?

Dicksham

personally, i haven't used autocad for a long time. currently, my friend asked me to recommend one good autocad alternative to him.

i think most of the alternative softwares are using the same kernel/technology (intellicad), but just their interfaces are a little bit different. Am i right? is CMS intellicad good to use? it seems to be the cheapest one, much cheaper than Progecad & Bricscad.

if there is no big difference in technology, should i choose the cheapest one? please advise

thanks in advance!

I'm sure it is good at what it does. And you can't beat the price for the functionality it offers. Low on cash? Think "alternative CAD software".

autocad /dwg is anyway dominating in the architectural & building service industry. workers would print the drawings out and modify the design on the paper in the work site. unless one day, they change their practice or the design is as complex as olympic birdnest, autocad will be kept for a long time.

autocad dominates bascically never mind microstation vectorworks etc, autodesk have pretty much coverd every aspect of drawing software, be it strictly 3-D/ 2-D/specifically Mechanical/Architecture/Animation purposes (inventor)

yes you are right Autodesk will contiune to be used thorughout the future, more than any other program and will get better and better.

Choose the one that best fits your needs and your budget. I don't think you can or should separate the two criteria. Honestly.

I have played with intellicad and found it to be ok its better than LT as it has lisp and Vba included the other cheaper alternative. Tested it with our lisp programs and no real problems.

I think it depends on your needs, simple CAD go for it 100% compatibility with other Autocad users not sure.

I am sure you can download a trial version for 30 days.

Personally I think autocad should come in 3 versions simple 2D (LT), advanced 2d+ simple 3d with lisp vba then full blown Civ3d, Architectural, developers also known as OEM. The first being cheaper than it is now.

have anyone tried CMS intellicad? why is it much cheaper than other alternatives? is it weaker? is ProgeCad /BrisCad stronger than CMS intellicad? on their web, there is no customer reference that i have nothing to refer.

i have used ZWcad, progecad, bricscad, that one that is 50$ smart-dwg, and doubleCAD XT (the free commercial use one) but in the end prefer Rhinoceros to a autocad clone

there is a community called www.intellicad.net you can find more information there.

• 6 years later...

As a long time user of AutoCAD and Inventor and a retired CAD Manager, I believe my experience and dealings with both Autodesk and their local agent qualify me to make the following statement. Upon retirement, I wanted a CAD app at home, but could not afford to purchase Autodesk products. So, I purchased IntelliCAD as a 2D alternative and in the main as it is closely aligned to AutoCAD was happy. However, I now have 2 gripes to publish.....

1. I noted after a trouble free install that CHPROP did not work, so I raised a concern via the software and subsequent email re this fault. I am running the app on Windows 8.1. The only reply I got was that their version worked on Windows 7, which is of no help to me. I replied politely expressing my concern and was re-sent their original reply. It is one of the commands I use most, in 2D drafting. Not Happy.......

2. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 to discover that IntelliCAD needed reauthorisation. On further investigation, I discovered that if one changes computer, or OS, then IntelliCAD needs to be de-authorised first, the subsequent file sent to them to show it has been deauthorised. Then once reinstalled it can then be reauthorised. I did not know that before I changed to Win10 and appears that in this event there is a cost, which I believe is totally wrong and not something I have experienced with any software provider in nearly 30yrs of CAD and 45yrs working with computers.

I sent them an email over a week ago re this issue and to date have had no reply.

As a consequence, and as one has 30 days from upgrade to Win10 to revert back to 8.1, I have reverted back. Once I did this, IntelliCAD then worked again, albeit not the CHPROP.

My opinion is, "Don't complain about the service from IntelliCAD, there isn't any!"

• Like 1

Forgot this;

If you have a scenario where the computer that IntelliCAD is installed on crashes either because I=of hardware failure or OS failure that requires a new computer or a reinstall of the OS, what is you position re IntelliCAD. Given that you have NO chance to de-authorise in advance, will there be a cost to get back the use of the software that has already been paid for?

Assuming that emails are in fact answered...........

• 8 months later...

I actually like CMS IntelliCAD a lot because it has the features I need for my daily CAD tasks on additional machines I run, and its compatibility with AutoCAD commands and DWG files is pretty good. Minor bugs, but I've seen worse on other CAD applications way expensive than this one.

Although there's a free support forum that I can use, I also purchased a support subscription and they have have been quite responsive.