Batt Insulation Hatch

Spiderguy

Hello everyone!

I have enjoyed using the forum and the fact that everyone is so helpful! It's a real pleasure.

I have a hatch pattern that I am trying to create. It is a batt insulation hatch. I have been using a block that I craeted, insert to the scale of the opening (if inserting into a 2 x 4 stud wall the scale is 3.5). Well, I got this hair-brained idea that a hatch pattern would be nicer to use, because once at the top of the wall, at weird angles, etc. the block has to be exploded and trimed, whereas a hatch pattern just fills the area selected.

I read up on creating hatch patterns, and started the one I wanted - with the arcs as a 32 sided polygon. I believe I have all of the lines in at the proper angles and start poionts and lengths. The offsets are all that I have left to figure out (I have all of the "y" values set to 1 - I was trying to test it out and see what I needed to do next - doesn't show up on the screen). I have decided to pause on this for the rest of the day and the weekend. I though that some of you would like the oportunity to help out with this. I know that some of you have a lot more experience with it than I do, and somebody may have a pattern that does this.

Anyway, here are the dwg and the pat (saved as txt so that it could be loaded to the forum - just change the txt to pat) files for your review!

Thanks,

Matt Hamby

BATT.dwg

batt.txt

I have had a chance to look a little closer at a batt hatch pattern that I found on the internet, it has helped a little. I am a little unclear as to what the "space" number refers to (the last number in each line). What exactly is it and what does it represent?

My first line would be (words in () are not in the actual PAT file - just for your reference):

275.625 (angle),0 (x-origin),0.5 (y-origin),-0.49759236 (x-offset),0.04900857 (y-offset),0.04900857 (length or dash), ??????(space)

I have included a pic file of how I came up with the number numbers for the x and y offsets. my understanding is that the y-offset is a parallell offset to the line being offset, and the x-offset is then a liniar offset in the direction of the line. The Magenta is the original pattern, the blue is a copy of the original to get the correct offsets, the yellow and green are the current lines being measured. These are lines not circles, there are a total of 50 lines in the original pattern.

thanks,

Matt Hamby

batt.jpg

OK, I have studied a few other hatches and not all of them include the "space" number. I keep getting an error message with some tests I have done, don't know why yet, but I will figure it out!

How about a series of parallel lines in the Batting linetype? I know its not what you are looking for, but it might be the simple answer for the same result.

I'm sure I've seen posts on the insulation / batting pattern elsewhere on this forum.

Yeah, there are some hatches out there, they work, just not the way I want. The line type sucks on many levels, the worst is the scaling issue to get it to fit in the area needed, then if you change the scale of the dwg (which we do often here because of using the same drawing multiple times).

Once I figure it out, I will upload the code to this thread for all to use!

Yeah, there are some hatches out there, they work, just not the way I want. The line type sucks on many levels, the worst is the scaling issue to get it to fit in the area needed, then if you change the scale of the dwg (which we do often here because of using the same drawing multiple times).

Once I figure it out, I will upload the code to this thread for all to use!

Just for clarifiaction, what is it you are looking for, and what do the hatches do or dont do?

I have found one that works, it just doesn't look as good as the one I am trying to create, you can tell it is drawn from lines, and it is not symetrical like the one I have shown above. outside of that it works close to what I want. I have included the file in this reply of the one I found. Once you download it change it from .txt to .pat.

Once you are ready to try it in AutoCAD, you type in the scale factor (which will be the width of the area to fill - 3.5 for a 2x4 stud).

Thanks,

Matt Hamby

BATTINSUL.txt

HUGHA - Man that is awsome - works just the way I wanted and lookes great! Any body that want's a great Batt Hatch this is it!

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

downlaod the hatch, put it in the support folder where the other hatches are. open autocad and draw an object (maybe a 3.5" wide by 3' tall rectangle). go to the hatch command, when it comes up there is a section in the top lefthand area called "type and pattern". there are some dropdown menus here; type, pattern, swatch and custom pattern. select the one beside of "type", selct "custom". now "custom pattern" is available, select the "..." button to the right of that dropdown menu. You should now get another window that shows you the custom patterns available, select smootherbatt.pat. now you should see the swatch of batt insulation. Now just below this is the "angle and scale" area. the most important one here is the "scale" selection. if you have a 3 1/2" stud that you want to put the hatch into (suggestion above), the scale should be 3.5. now make sure the "hatch origin" is set to the lower left - this will change according to your need. select "add: pick points" select inside the rectangle you created earlier and hit the "enter" key. you should see a nice batt hatch!

note: I have noticed the the scaling is slightly off - you may see parts of the next column of hatch - I have not niticed it when it is plotted - I tweek the scale factor by 1/100ths until they are gone from the screen.

Thanks again for the help with this hatch!

Be good, Matt

• 1 month later...

I am using 2009 LT and i cannot for the life of me get this hatch to become smooth like the first insulation picture?!

Can anyone provide me with an idiots guide to installation please?!

Many thanks

OK, you have it installed and using it correct? If so, how does it look when printed? If it looks fine while printed then it may be a display issue. I hope someone here knows more about 2009 Lt.

I am glad that several people are looking at this hatch!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Man you dug up an old one! hehe, I have a great dinamic block I'm using for bat ins now. Thanks for the response though. I'm just not to partial to that linetype.

It's difficult to understand what all the fuss is about over a hatch pattern for batt insulation. Now if we were talking about a hatch pattern for oak veneer, herringbone flooring, or Arabic mosaic I could understand but it's just batt insulation guys.:lol:

It's difficult to understand what all the fuss is about over a hatch pattern for batt insulation. Now if we were talking about a hatch pattern for oak veneer, herringbone flooring, or Arabic mosaic I could understand but it's just batt insulation guys.:lol:

Good point, at the time of the original post I was a bit overwelmed, managing my position and doing all of the drafting so I was interested in every time saving technique I could find. Now thank god we hired someone for those responsibilities. :D

There have to a dozen batt insulation hatch files floating around out there in AutoCADland. I can understand one or two variations but anything beyond that seems like a waste of time and effort. Most viewers of the drawings the hatch pattern is used on will barely notice what pattern is used and rely more on the description of the insulation required. Just makes me laugh. No offense intended.

If we were drawing this detail on the board, by hand, in ink on mylar, would we be that particular about it? We should concentrate more on what's important than on how batt insulation looks.