What Virus scan does everyone recommend??

MikeP

I have a big issue about virus scans, it always slows my computer down and I haven't used one for about 5 years now and never had a problem. (as far as I know) I would like a virus scan, that does not constantly monitor the computer and one that i could schedule nightly scans.

I keep no active protection on my computer beyond a firewall (ZoneAlarm has a fairly robust free one).

When I see signs of infection (I.E. the computer "acting strange" I use MalwareBytes (www.malwarebytes.org) to run a quick scan for, and remove, any malicious software. Should I encounter malware which malwarebytes can't initially delete, I will run ComboFix (www.combofix.org) and then malwarebytes after the reboot.

And should I suspect tomfoolery going on in my registry I will run CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com). Registry cleaners like this can occasionally have some adverse effects on some program installations (sometimes AutoCAD may misbehave a little more than usual) so don't be too overzealous.

And, of course, check with your IT before adding any of these software titles, they will almost always "play nice with others", but giving them the heads up is just common courtesy. Also, all of these titles are free downloads.

**EDIT**Almost forgot, Trend Micro and Kaspersky both have pretty good web based scanners also.

Well, I've been using Kaspersky Anti-virus now for a few years and I'm very happy with it. It just sits there in the background doing it's thing. Automatically updates each day and scanning as it goes. Excellent low-profile and small footprint application. A real breath of fresh-air after the "in-you-face" approach of Norton.

I've used McAfee in the past and now use Norton AV. I do not use any of the "suites" as they can really be obnoxious. Other than a firewall that's about it on my CAD computer. I run pretty lean and mean. No programs other than what I absolutely need and no games. I watch what websites I visit and I'm really careful about any downloads. And no file sharing programs either!

Hi

AVG anti-virus does it for me, I also run hijackthis an excellent programme

it produces a logfile which you copy and paste into this link this will analysis and give you a report of those litle nasty entries.

http://www.hijackthis.de/

This is the download programme

http://majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

Many PC's, Norton seems to be too much.

AVG 8.5 or even the free AVG seems to be less "demanding."

I would recommend AVG free anti-virus.

have Sophos on mine, as dictaded by the IT dudes at work, never notice any problems - but it's a PC after all, not like you can expect wonders from it :P

Ok well, I need to install some kind of anti virus so im not blames when the server crashes. we have a commercial version of mcafee, but like i said it monitors all day long. I dont even know how to turn it off. when i tried to turn off mcafee on another computer it actually turned it self back on. even when i closed it in the task manager, mcafee just restarted automaticly.

If you can or want to spend money on it then I would go for NOD32 (using it at work) or else AVG free edition (using it at home).

Yes they both monitor constantly but neither of them seem to noticeable slow down the system. The only thing to keep in mind is to spend a little time to setting it up how you want it. Afterall, it's a piece of software that if it doesn't work correctly could really mess up your PC, life, server or company. Something that important shouldn't be installed blindly with default settings.

On one of my first computers I used to run Norton - but it really slows the computer down I found, and the scans seem to take forever and a day to complete - even with minimal files on the system,

I switched to AVG for a while - the free edition is really good.

But now I use ZoneAlarm and have been for a few years - *touch wood* it hasn't failed me yet... :P

Our work computers are set up with TrendMicro and absolutely can NOT be turned off unless someone from IT physically comes to your computer, logs in with the ultra-secret ID and password, and turns it off. But as soon as you reboot it starts right up. Previous to this we ran McAfee (some corporate version). At least it could be shut down by the individual user when needed (to recoup resources). IT - short for PITA.

Eset NOD 32 at work and AVG at home; plus Adaware on average about once a week to clear out the spyware. No problems with either :)

• 9 months later...

Depends on where I'm located, which PC or desktop;

Norton, AVG (paid), AVG (free).

From here on out it'll be AVG free, no problems ever.

AVG free doesn't feel bloated as does Norton.