Dimensions in isometric

DODGE

Hi all.

Can anybody tell me how to get dimensions in isometric to look correct. I have no problem drawing details etc in Iso, but can't get the dimensions to look right.

Cheers all

Dodge.8)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DODGE

• wannabe

• rkent

• stevsmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although you could rotate the UCS to be aligned with the edge you want to dim and then do a quick dimension - changing the UCS to a the required object each time your desired dim is not planar.

It's actually a toss-up between the two for me. Probably not a lot in it once you're fluent with each technique.

1- make 2 textstyles. one ISO 330 and one ISO 30

the degrees being the oblique angle of the text

2-make yourself 3 toolbar buttons: -30 +30 and 90

asign to each a macro of how you want your dimension to slant using the oblique sub function of 'dim'

I'm not saying that there isn't a better method but it works for me and I have been doing it like that since 1998 when I started learning to draw piping drawings.

Although you could rotate the UCS to be aligned with the edge you want to dim and then do a quick dimension - changing the UCS to a the required object each time your desired dim is not planar.

It's actually a toss-up between the two for me. Probably not a lot in it once you're fluent with each technique.

Ohh I quite like that one wannabe.

Use the UCS II toolbar. You click the button with the UCS and the + symbol to place point of origin, then choose from different views for the UCS to refer to. It will do this without change the actual view you are working in only the UCS perspective. Excellant for ISO dimensioning.

Hi Guys

Back again I have tried all this stuff but it just dosen't seem to work for me.

Can anybody give me step by step?

Thanks

Dodge

First, open this toolbar. Then start cycling through the pull down menu to see the different views. Looks like the first UCS toolbar, right? This one is different. The first one will change your perspective to match the view you have selected, this one does not. Instead the UCS will change to the view you chose without changing you current perspective. So play with the pull down tab and you see what I mean. Now to add dims, you must choose what view would make most sense for each dim. WARNING: depending on your dim offset settings, your dims may not place them selves in the correct postion in the Z coordinate. So to fix this problem, select the view you want, then select the button on the UCS II toolbar called "Move UCS". It's the one with the + on it. Now place the UCS on the desired Z plane. Now apply the dim. I know this all sounds very complicated, but if you play with it for little bit, you'll see that this is the superior way to dimension in ISO view.

UCS II.jpg

Looks to me like there is some confusion on the OP question. So to the Original Poster, are you dealing with ISO drawings or are you doing 3D work and needing to dim in an ISO view?

If 3D then the UCS comments apply.

If ISO drawings then the other comments apply.

Looks to me like there is some confusion on the OP question. So to the Original Poster, are you dealing with ISO drawings or are you doing 3D work and needing to dim in an ISO view?

Thanks rkent.

I am doing Isometric drawings. Im not that good to be able to do 3D yet.

Cheers Dodge

If ucs is aligned with object you get the same effect.

If ucs is aligned with object you get the same effect.

I don't think this will work with Iso drawings, but I am willing to learn.

Hi all.

Can anybody tell me how to get dimensions in isometric to look correct. I have no problem drawing details etc in Iso, but can't get the dimensions to look right.

Cheers all

Dodge.8)

This is what I use, HTH.

ISO-DIMensions r2000.zip