Scaling question...

Confucius Ricardo

How can I set the scale for a drawing on the page setup, before I plot?

When I try to put in a scale of say 1" = 30' I get a really small rendering of the drawing in the middle of the paper. It asks for the ratio of inches to units, but I'm uncertain as to what the units are or for that matter what it's even asking me :oops:

When I put "Fit To Paper" it converts it to 1" : 1.39(?) I don't know what that one point three nine stands for...

I need some serious help. :?

drawing units are just that - one 'unit' is whatever you choose it to be when you begin a drawing, so if you want your one unit to be an inch, a mile, a meter, a handspan, or whatever else, that's what it is

then you have your dimensions. You tell your dimstyle that one unit is one whatever-you-decided. If you've drawn your drawing having decided a unit is inches, you can't dimension it in metric unless you introduce a scale factor into the dimstyle

then we come to adding a drawing border (if that's how you're going about things)

some companies draw in modelspace, then plonk a real life size border in paperspace, and bring the model in via a viewport. The viewport will then require a scale to ensure the model fits into the border. Other companies will place the border around the drawing in the modelspace, but that would require the border being scaled up to fit around the model

with me so far? :wink:

either check your company standards for plot scales, and to ensure you've constructed your drawing as required, or continue with the method you've started. 'fit to paper' can be used as a cheat to find the best approximation for scaled plotting, but it's much easier to use in metric. 12ths don't compute quite so well :wink:

If you are plotting from a layout, then when you are in the layout, type MSPACE to get to the modelspace within the layout. Then type Z and enter. At this point type the scale you want followed by XP. If you want 1"=30', that would be 1/360XP that you would have to enter when prompted. If you are not plotting from a layout, it would be a different situation.