updating edited parts in an assembly

bigmousepusher

Hi, in an assembly, when I edit a part (like cut off a corner) how do I make the change to update on my original part? Thank you much.

Hi, in an assembly, when I edit a part (like cut off a corner) how do I make the change to update on my original part? Thank you much.

Make sure your dubble click the part before you edit them in an assembly, when you do this the parts automaticly chance.

Dont: never ever ever chance anything in an assembly ^^, it wont update to your parts becouse inventor will think you first need to assemble your parts before you can do the chance, ..

So always: Dubble click to edit the part instead of the assembly

anyways :roll: i hope it helps, Goodluck

But what does the update button do? According to the help file it should do what I want. I need to make changes to the part to make it fit my assambly better. Yeah I can do it in the part file but I would like to do it in assambly and have it update my part file. Thanks.

Yeah I can do it in the part file but I would like to do it in assembly and have it update my part file. Thanks.

You can. You must edit the part in the context of the assembly. Not assembly edit.

Zip and attach what you have so far.

Context of the assembly????? I'm not sure I know what you mean. Right now I don't have a drawing that I would like to do that with. The one I worked on before I worked around that problem.

Context of the assembly????? I'm not sure I know what you mean. Right now I don't have a drawing that I would like to do that with. The one I worked on before I worked around that problem.

what he's trying to say ^^, just dubble click the part. all the other parts in the assembly become like.... vague. and the part you clicked stays normal, than u edit the part and then u press return

Dont: never ever ever chance anything in an assembly ^^, it wont update to your parts becouse inventor will think you first need to assemble your parts before you can do the chance, ..

I was thinking about a situation close to the original poster's question. Imagine an assembly with 50 plates stacked one on top of each other. In assembly mode a rectangluar cut can be made through all of them on an angle (between corners lets say.)

Is it possible to have this cut realized in each individual part ? If not then what other way is there to do it? (double click each part, figure out the angle of the cut, extrude, etc... that sounds like a very complicated way to do it but maybe there is an easier way?)

Is it possible to have this cut realized in each individual part ? If not then what other way is there to do it? (double click each part, figure out the angle of the cut, extrude, etc... that sounds like a very complicated way to do it but maybe there is an easier way?)

if u want all the parts to chance in the same way just edit the first part of the pattern,

if u want to make them all chance differently, then u make 50 different parts,

You can also do the chances in the assembly mode

:nuke:But: you wont see them in the individial parts :). :nuke:

I have to say that I'm a little surprised that as powerful as Inventor is... it completely fails here. Sometimes it happens that the builder assembles all of the pieces and realizes he/she totally forgot a component that might touch 15 or 1500 other components... and that would mean manually editing every part. YIKES.

Skeletal modeling or learn the shop floor techniques or multi-body parts. Works fine here. Just need to understand the techniques.

You all get exactly what I was trying to say in my first post. If anyone knows how to do it please let me know. Thank you much.

Make sure your dubble click the part before you edit them in an assembly, when you do this the parts automaticly chance.

So always: Dubble click to edit the part instead of the assembly

He already answered it for you. If you want the chamfer on the part double click it and it will activate Part mode for that Part INSIDE the assembly. When you have finished your chamfer exit the command, RMB and select Finish Edit or hit the Return button.

I have to say that I'm a little surprised that as powerful as Inventor is... it completely fails here. Sometimes it happens that the builder assembles all of the pieces and realizes he/she totally forgot a component that might touch 15 or 1500 other components... and that would mean manually editing every part. YIKES.

1 component that might touch 15 or 1500 other components ^^!?

pleaseo:) let me know when that ever happens,,

Anyways :glare: when im building a rather large assembly, i try getting like 1 base point, and Constraint all the components i can constraint to that 1 base point :P,

like , when im drawing a bike, i get the frame as my base point

:shock: peace out o:)