Making a gear

NaeKid

I was given a hand-sketch from one of my sales guys. He wants me to draw up a gear. The information given to me is very slim.

Details:

• StraightCut gear on 90° laser
  • 8 11/16" ID cut-through
  • 12" MD (Mid Dimension) - the valley of the teeth
  • No OD given - unknown height of the teeth, but, there are 12 teeth in total
  • Finally - the center of the valley to the next center is supposed to be 4" (pitch).

The teeth were sketched as being "square" with rounded edges.

My question is, is it even possible to draw up the gear based on this information? My first sketch looks "horrible" to me, I know it isn't even close to being right. I have drawn up gears before, but, they have always been fully-dimensioned.

The worst part is that the customer wants to have something to test with by the end of today. So far, I don't think it would even be possible.

Can anyone help me with this, or, should I go with my gut-feeling and send it back to the sales-guy and tell him that I need more details before I can finish it off properly.

Thanks!

That's what I figured. As I was drawing it out, I just had too many questions and no answers from the "horrible" sketch. If anyone is interested, I could scan it so you can see what I started out with.

go back to the sales guy, there's no way there's enough info there.

A good "sales guy" will always do that to you! :twisted:

Maybe if you provide the salesperson with a sketch of a gear and note on it what dimensions are required he can fill in all the blanks after having talked to the customer. You can pull something from a mechanical design or an engineering drawing book or download something from the Internet.

Maybe if you provide the salesperson with a sketch of a gear and note on it what dimensions are required he can fill in all the blanks after having talked to the customer. You can pull something from a mechanical design or an engineering drawing book or download something from the Internet.

I gave printed him a copy of my ugly drawing, dimensioned it and then just over-wrote the dimensions with ???? text. I told him to fill in the blanks and then we can talk again. I haven't seen him since :roll:

I gave printed him a copy of my ugly drawing, dimensioned it and then just over-wrote the dimensions with ???? text. I told him to fill in the blanks and then we can talk again. I haven't seen him since. :roll:

Isn't that the idea? He doesn't know exactly what he needs either! :wink: