copyright photo laws

Skeeps

I have a website to build and I've got to get some pics for it. Now someone told me years ago, and I'm not sure how true it is that you can't use anyones photos without permission, but if you do you have to change them by 20% then it's classed as a different photo made by you then you can.

Any one know how true this is?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• tzframpton

• Skeeps

• Chad8090

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there are sites with free to use pics aren't there?

and would it be the end of the world to use pics that need to be paid for in the grand scheme of webbuilding?

if its a personal website then nobody would even bother to come after you. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are making money off your website.

a friend has had some music removed from a vid he put on his blog - so I don't suppose even private sites are exempt from the rules

a friend has had some music removed from a vid he put on his blog - so I don't suppose even private sites are exempt from the rules

I didn't say exempt, I said its not likely for an owner of an image to come after you. To spend the amount of time legally and financially to get an image removed would be too much hassle for a personal website.

Did your friend really have the OWNER (or lawyer) of the song in his/her video contact them to take it down? Man, that must be a very well known blog. :lol:

I've no idea, but probably not

I'm guessing it was the host that took it off as it's they who get into trouble for knowingly hosting tons of this illicit stuff :wink:

There's a photography group on Sheffield Forum and their members regularly kick off about their photo's being used without permission - I believe there's a method of tracing who's linking to your pics

Skeeps - whatever you do, don't insert pics on a link (unless it's your own link)

A mobile phone company ceased trading after an SF member found his pics being 'stolen' and put on an online shopping website... He changed the stolen images for such banners as 'buy one get one free', or '£250 cashback with every phone' :lol:

I didn't say exempt, I said its not likely for an owner of an image to come after you. To spend the amount of time legally and financially to get an image removed would be too much hassle for a personal website.

Did your friend really have the OWNER (or lawyer) of the song in his/her video contact them to take it down? Man, that must be a very well known blog. :lol:

The music police in this country, commonly known as ASCAP will chase anything down. They've gone after a little town for playing Christmas music on a boom box in a Christmas parade. And I'm talking little town, like 200 population. It all has to do with what it was licensed for you see and if they think they can grab some money over it, they'll do it.

The music police in this country' date=' commonly known as ASCAP will chase anything down. They've gone after a little town for playing Christmas music on a boom box in a Christmas parade. And I'm talking little town, like 200 population. It all has to do with what it was licensed for you see and if they think they can grab some money over it, they'll do it.[/quote']

Wow..... Good 'ol "America".

thanks for all your responses, cheers PS Port. A good look for me I reckon! hehe!

I am going to be paid to create a website for someone's new buisness, she has collected the photos she wants herself, however she then asked the question about copyright.

• 2 weeks later...

if some one wants it bad enough there going to get it.

Though you could put a disable right-click on

but like i said..

• 2 months later...

Hi try using Flickr and go to advanced search - select creative commons. There are many creative commons licenses - each one has slightly different stipulations for use.

I have found tons of great photos for my website. I normally send the photographer an email (via Flickr) saying I found their great photo and would like to use it on my website - I provide the URL to the appropriate page.

I say that I am happy to provide a link back to their photo or profile and credit the photographer. I normally get an email in return thanking me for asking and they are normally happy for me to use any of their pics.

I then include the pic with this underneath - 'Photo courtesy of 'Name' - and make the 'Name' an active link back to the persons flickr photo.

People are usually flattered and like the 'little bit of fame'!

(BTW that's funny about Sheffield Forum, it's not only in the photography section where people kick off, it seems to be most of the forum, start a topic and be prepared to be slammed, esp if it's about race, religion, buses, schools, speeding fines ....)

• 2 years later...

you can not claim someone elses work as your own even if it is altered. Segments of video can be used for media purposes

SCHOOLS do not have to abide by copyright laws to teach students.. as long as No profit is made.

anyways.. use someone elses work and "claim it as your own, modify it then claim, or make a profit is copyright infringement and you may be taken to court"

you can not claim someone elses work as your own even if it is altered. Segments of video can be used for media purposes

SCHOOLS do not have to abide by copyright laws to teach students.. as long as No profit is made.

anyways.. use someone elses work and "claim it as your own, modify it then claim, or make a profit is copyright infringement and you may be taken to court"

Schools do have to abide by copyright law. Typically something like only one chapter of a book or 10% of the book (whichever is less) can be reproduced without permission.