Linking Acad With Max/viz? Pls Help?

ww-promo

Hi, Im in need of some help please. :unsure:

I create my drawings in ACAD using blocks then import to MAX or VIZ [depending on the comp].

I can link the files to MAX and apply materials as needed, but when I go back to ACAD and modify, then reload it in MAX all my materials are removed from my model..?

Is there some way of reloading in MAX that will keep the materials applied to my objects?

Any help would be much appriciated!

Thanks

I take it you're using the File Link Manager to import your CAD file?

And then you are applying materials in Max, correct?

Then the problem arises when you reload your CAD file after modifying it?

If the above is true, then you just need to make a simple adjustment to your Reload options.

After modifying your CAD file, open the File Link Manager and click on the Files tab

Select the file you want to Reload

Make sure "Show Render Options" is checked

Click Reload

You should now be presented with the "File Link Settings" window

Click on the "Advanced" tab

Make sure "Use Scene Material Definitions" is checked

Make sure "Use Scene Material Assignments on Reload" is checked

Click Ok

Hi, Thanks for the info, however in VIZ4 the options you say I need to tick are not located in the option box. Is this only availiable in MAX 9? Thanks again!!!

FILELINKSETTINGS-1.jpg

Is there some way of reloading in MAX that will keep the materials applied to my objects?

Well, I was replying to this question. I've never used VIZ so I can't help you with that. :unsure:

FLM.jpg

Yes sorry, I will try in MAX when I get home, but am stuck with VIZ at work.

I have just tried it with the settings as they are and it has regenerated the drawing in VIZ without resetting the materials applied!

There is one other thing.......I normaly import ACAD into VIZ via the file / import and select AutoCAD (*.DWG) which brings in my block drawing separating every part within my blocks individually.

But when I import as FILE LINK it imports differenty, my blocks import as one making material appling a very long proccess. Is there a more efficiant way which will allow my blocks to import as all individual parts?

Sorry to bug....

Thanks