External References

Jfennell

My question is as follows:

I have a set of drawings that i need to send to a client. These drawings have photos inserted as external references. In the past we have sent clients the cad files and then accompanied them with the photo/external reference files for them to reload once recieved. Although this method has worked in the past it is my understanding that there is a way to say "bind" these photos to the drawings so as to have a stand alone file. If there is a way to do this i would greatly appreciate any input. Also i have used the insert OLE object before and this sort of accomplished the task that i mentioned, however, this requires you to have to insert them and reposition them individually and some times i have had resolution issues, i am more looking for a function that would just do this with the images that are already referenced. P.S. i am currently using AutoCAD2010. Thank you for any input

Open your XRef Manager (command XREF). Select the Xref from the list, right-click and select Bind then Insert.

When i open the xref manager then right click the reference i see nothing that says bind or insert just open, attach, unload, reload, detach

I believe raster images can only be linked, your best bet is still to provide a relative path, I.E. place the image in the same folder and .zip it.

here is a thought, if you can only bind a dwg then could you make a copy of the drawing with the raster images and then xref it back into the original drawing and then bind them together or would the bound drawing have an external ref built into it, i will try and let you know

If you make an external reference of a drawing with external references those references are brought into the external reference manager list. So if you bind the original external reference then it's external references will still remain on the list in their original state as tiff image ect...

Well like MiGo pointed out no luck with that, i thought i was going to be clever and cheat the system.. Nope. Hopefully in the future CAD will realize that this would be a helpful feature since it would be more useful with raster images. I understand the idea behind externaly referenced dwg files(they can be updated as the file is updated),however, the bind function seems kinda useless since you could just copy and paste the linework and it now becomes part of the drawing. I guess it is faster but once again think it would be more useful with references that aren't CAD generated.

Sorry what i should have said before my last reply was thank you guys very much for your input, your posts were very helpful.