Change lineweight via xref

It's hard to understand what Autodesk has done with AutoCAD features: :unsure:

Am I not supposed to be able to change xref-layer's lineweight in the host's Layer Properties Manager box??

Do I have to go into the guest file and make the desired lineweight, then reload or detach and re-attach the xref file to get the lineweight I want in the host file?

I think we need a little more info here...

What exactly happens when you try to change it?

I might suspect VISRETAIN or perhaps a pen table issue....

Thanks for replying.

I change the lineweight of the xreferenced (guest) layer in the Layer Manager box of the current (host) file. So if the xref layer's lineweight is thin, say .25mm. I thought I should be able to change the lineweight appearance of that same externally referenced layer in the current file to .80mm. So this layer is thin in the xref (guest) file, but is showing thick in the current (host) file, which could be seen in the print preview. However, I did not achieve this; the preview showed that layer remained as .25mm. I had to go back into the xref file, make that layer .80mm, and save. Then go back to the host file and reload the xref file and checked the preview which now showed me the thick .80mm lineweight.

Thanks for replying.

I change the lineweight of the xreferenced (guest) layer in the Layer Manager box of the current (host) file. So if the xref layer's lineweight is thin, say .25mm. I thought I should be able to change the lineweight appearance of that same externally referenced layer in the current file to .80mm. So this layer is thin in the xref (guest) file, but is showing thick in the current (host) file, which could be seen in the print preview. However, I did not achieve this; the preview showed that layer remained as .25mm. I had to go back into the xref file, make that layer .80mm, and save. Then go back to the host file and reload the xref file and checked the preview which now showed me the thick .80mm lineweight.

Try VISRETAIN = 1