• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EMS_0525

• ReMark

• sinc

• Geoffers

Top Posters In This Topic

We started testing it... its seems to be faster than 2009... that is a huge problem over our network. We might switch to it sooner than SP1, just for the speed... and just deal with problems...

...installed 2010 architecture and experimented.

it seems ok, but surprised to find 'plotter' is not on ribbon but on Quick access thingy, where I seem to remember it wasn't before - although I had put icon there...

no problems at the moment - FLW

edit:

I could not get 'shadows' to activate at first run but did second opening :?:?

first thought following was result of installing 2010 yetsrday but just realised it might be result of downloading latest Intuos driver day before:

pressing and holding with pen produces ring of 8 red blobs with mouse picture with right mouse button flashing red - after 5 secs it all disappears - what's it for?? it is the same as right mouse click...??

nyone else seen this?

:?:oops::?:oops::?:oops:just be experimenting with solids.

can't get the shell command to work - or nothing appears to happen. there are a few other solid editing commands which dont seem to work - possibly its me

just noticed it says i am using 2009 but could not set to 2010 for profile under avatar

• 1 month later...

C3D 2010 seems to hit memory hard. It's running pretty well on my Vista x64 system, but if you're on 32-bit Windows, make sure you can set the /3GB switch (on XP-32) or up the userva (on Vista-32). If your hardware is marginal for 2009, you will probably want to upgrade it, and when you do so, I highly recommend that you put Vista x64 or Win7 on it.

Good points.... i was experimenting with 2010 and kept crashing, running out of memory... but the IT dept failed to see the up in min requirements for 2010. they were not kidding either. I just got 2 gb more ram yesterday, i only had 2gb. It definetly uses up the memory. but i thaught 2010 didnt go to 64 bit... but im sure its faster, but not as fast as it could be.

I fail to understand why people assume that the minimum system requirements posted by Microsoft and AutoCAD are acceptable. CAD users and gamers push their systems harder than anyone. Bean counters and secretaries barely scratch the surface. They could all well be working on old 486-25MHz computers and still do their jobs.

Yea, im with you on that... But i know for our company right now its a money issue. Civil 3D is a very large memory and proccessing intensive program, the better the computer the better the program runs... But the bean counters see that autodesk has min requirements and that should be good enough. I was surprised that i went from 2gb of ram to 4 and not just 3 like the min requirements state. Another big issue our company has is a wide area network...

When bean counters force you to work with one hand tied behind your back then your lack of productivity is hurting the company financially as well as in other ways. Now you realize where the phrase Penny-wise and pound foolish originated.

Isnt that the truth. I am lucky enough to have gotten a new job in december at my current company, and they want to continue to grow, but with the economy they are asking everyone to do anything to help.... from where im sitting i can see soooo many things that would help... but the important things get overlooked. I just come in and do my work and go home... i work to make money thats all....

The reason to go with Vista x64 or Win7 is that on those operating systems, C3D can theoretically access up to 4GB of memory. By memory, I mean RAM + Pagefile usage, so it can do this even if you don't have 4GB of RAM in your system - your system just needs to swap more, which slows it down (and can cause your system to grind to a halt if it happens too much).

It doesn't really get that high, of course. In my testing, C3D crashes when it hits 2.8 GB, as reported by Vista's Task Manager. However, this is higher than I can get with XP. On an XP system without the 3GB switch set, 2010 seems to crash at around 1.4GB. With the 3GB switch set, it seems to happen somewhere around 2.2GB. So running it on Vista x64, where you can get up to 2.8GB, is helpful.

Also, Vista seems to manage that memory better. C3D definitely runs faster on Vista x64 than on 32-bit XP, even on the exact same hardware.

You can mitigate the swap problem somewhat by tweaking virtual memory and by placing the swap file on a separate hard drive so that it remains one contiguous section.

• 2 weeks later...

We too installed 2010 because of the Autodesk / Riverbed issues. Everyone here is on the /3GB switch without too many complaints. However, I have one person that can't plot aerials and not everyone has migrated their projects to 2010. We'll see.

Just an FYI.... Autodesk told our company that to fix our "out of memory" errors we need to switch to vista 64 bit....

Just an FYI.... Autodesk told our company that to fix our "out of memory" errors we need to switch to vista 64 bit....

Plenty of people are running AutoCAD under a 32-bit OS without incurring "out of memory" errors. How does AutoDesk explain that?

Plenty of people are running AutoCAD under a 32-bit OS without incurring "out of memory" errors. How does AutoDesk explain that?

It depends a fair bit on your general usage, and the types of projects you are working on.

Unfortunately, if you start having memory problems on WinXP and you have the /3GB switch set, your only choice is to move up to a 64-bit OS. But C3D works better on Vista/Win7, even if you aren't having out-of-memory errors, because Vista is better at memory management in general.