Finding the area of a 2D object

BrianStoiber

First let me apologize, I am very new to CAD so if the terminology is off, please forgive me. First let me explain what my company does and how I just need to learn a simple function. We have a laser that takes digital measurements of cabinet bases. These measurements are then sent to a CAM program that runs a CNC machine to be cut.

All I need to learn how to do is find the area of an object. If this were a rectangle, I would know how to do it by typing the area command and then selecting the 4 points. However a lot of what I am going to have to measure has arcs in it. When I select the point before and after the point, I don't know if it is taking a straight measurement between the 2 points or if it is taking into account the arc.

I have attached a file that a customer sent me and something I would commonly see. When I used the AREA command, just clicking the points, I got an area of 7468 sq in. Since we deal in sq ft in our industry that would come out to 51.86 sq ft.

Could someone please check it and let me know if I am doing this correctly? If I am wrong, please explain how to do this or point me in a direction to figure it out. I have found a couple tutorials but they didn't really help me all that much since they just used rectangles which area easy to do.

watts(modified).dwg

I can't look at drawing right now - but try using PEDIT first,

Type in PEDIT

Then type in M

Select all lines and arcs that make up the base

Press enter

Type in Y

Then type in J

Make sure fuzz distance set to 0 - type in 0 if needed

Press enter twice

Then AREA > Object

Below I've copied what i did in the command line for you to look at

Command: pe PEDIT Select polyline or [Multiple]: m

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 4 found

Select objects:
Convert Lines and Arcs to polylines [Yes/No]? <Y> y

Enter an option [Close/Open/Join/Width/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype gen/Undo]: j

Join Type = Extend

Enter fuzz distance or [Jointype] <0.0000>:

3 segments added to polyline

Enter an option [Close/Open/Join/Width/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype gen/Undo]:

Command: AREA

Specify first corner point or [Object/Add/Subtract]: O

Select objects:

Area = 1140831.8137, Perimeter = 4306.0116

Te only reason mines different is i quickly drew 4 lines so i could go through the

steps myself, make sure i didn't miss anything out. Do not use my answer for the

area of what u're after as it will be wrong.

I just followed your directions and got the same 7406.9211. So I can be confident that if I follow your directions, I will get a proper measurements in the future?

Again, thank you for your help.