When I change the color the dimensions change!

Guest Mark Costantino

Guest Mark Costantino

Help! I know just enough about AutoCad LT to be dangerous. I need to change the color of drawings I receive as they are usually unreadable. When I change it the dimensions change. How do i change them to the original dimension. I know it has something to do with scaling, but, again, I can be dangerous.

Thanks,

Mark

Can I just clarify the situation?

You change the colour of objects in your drawing and the dimension text changes :shock: .

We need more information. How are you changing the colour - layer properties? Can you give us a specific example?

Help! I know just enough about AutoCad LT to be dangerous. I need to change the color of drawings I receive as they are usually unreadable. When I change it the dimensions change. How do i change them to the original dimension. I know it has something to do with scaling, but, again, I can be dangerous.

Thanks,

Mark

Sounds like your dim settings are different to original drawing. Try checking dimstyles in the drawing, check also dimscale.

Guest Mark Costantino

Essentially, all I do is highlight the entire drawing and go to properties. I change the color of the entire drawing to black. Once in a great while I may need to explode the drawing (or parts) and then change it. Thanks for getting back to me.

• 4 years later...
Essentially, all I do is highlight the entire drawing and go to properties. I change the color of the entire drawing to black. Once in a great while I may need to explode the drawing (or parts) and then change it. Thanks for getting back to me.

If your selecting the entire drawing, dims included, then these will change colour also. There are various ways to change the dims back to the original colour, the simplest would be to select the dim and change the colour to 'by layer' in the layer properties. If the drawing is layered correctly and the dims have a specific layer you can select 'layer isolate' and click on one dim, this will lock all other layers which means you can select all the dims in one fatal swoop to save time.

Hope this helps.

If your selecting the entire drawing, dims included, then these will change colour also. There are various ways to change the dims back to the original colour, the simplest would be to select the dim and change the colour to 'by layer' in the layer properties. If the drawing is layered correctly and the dims have a specific layer you can select 'layer isolate' and click on one dim, this will lock all other layers which means you can select all the dims in one fatal swoop to save time.

Hope this helps.

While this may very well help, please note that this is a very old thread and asked by a Guest so don't expect a respons :wink:

Oh that's a shame, just when we could have had an interesting thread!

I'd question why the colours need changing within the drawing too

If they can't be seen on screen, change your screen colour in the display settings. One job I did had to have a grey/lilac screen to be able to see all the colours correctly!

If it's a printing issue, then the colours should be changed within the plotting command, so it's just the printer/plotter output that's black, not the on screen display

While this may very well help, please note that this is a very old thread and asked by a Guest so don't expect a respons :wink:

oops! Always look at the posted date, got it!