More than 6GB RAM (For Autodesk Programs)?

therock005

I will mostly be working Civil 3d and MAP 3d. Will 6GB of DDR-3 Ram be enough, or should i go for 12 if it's within my price Range? HAs anyone worked with 6GB and realised that it was not enough?

are you going to be running Vista 64 or XP 64? The most physical memory that a 32 bit OS can see is 4gb. If you are going to be doing a ton of 3d modeling that has complex forms, or tons of rendering I should suggest more than 2, but otherwise I would stick to the recommendations with the system specs.

My theory is you can never have too much RAM. However, as mentioned above, the OS will be one of the determining factors. I'm assuming your mobo supports 6GB of RAM, right?

I'm building a new system, and yes it can go up to gb and of course i will install a 64 bit OS.

Thing is i dont know if i should go for a 12gb kit with standard timings or for a 6gb kit with lower timings and voltage.

• 1 month later...

You say (Autodesk products), but being on the Autocad forum, Im assuming you're talking about 12GB vs 6GB in autocad. To which I will comment:

Law of diminishing returns.

I would get the 12GB if you are working with large 3d files and need to do alot of rendering with ray-tracing, then 12GB wouldnt be such a bad idea if you dont mind the extra expense.

are you going to be running Vista 64 or XP 64? The most physical memory that a 32 bit OS can see is 4gb. If you are going to be doing a ton of 3d modeling that has complex forms, or tons of rendering I should suggest more than 2, but otherwise I would stick to the recommendations with the system specs.

So if Im putting together a 32bit system there is no point putting more than 4gb RAM?