Wall type needed

skimar

Help I'm in need of a wall type for Architectural 2009. I have a wall that is 8" CMU with 4" brick on both sides with no air space on either side. I can not find this in the wall syles that come with the tool palletts. Has anyone created this type of wall and would like to share it?

Help I'm in need of a wall type for Architectural 2009. I have a wall that is 8" CMU with 4" brick on both sides with no air space on either side. I can not find this in the wall syles that come with the tool palletts. Has anyone created this type of wall and would like to share it?

they are quite easy to construct yourself. find a style that is similar to what you need. Right click on the wall and "copy wall style and assign" Rename the wall style under the general tab to match what it is constructed of. Next go to your components tab. This is where your style is constructed. When I get home I will post a link to an Autodesk University class that covered constructing custom wall styles. Until then, mess around with the stuff I gave above, and see if you can figure it out a little. Remember to set your priorities with your components, that way you get the cleanups the way you want. you can look at existing styles to figure out what each piece needs as far as priority.

I was in a good mood when I got home, so I plopped this together for you. When you start doing more wall styles on your own, remember to actually create components for air gaps, and attach the insulation_air material that is found under AEC materials in your content browser, you will get strange cleanup conditions if you do not add them.

Since you did not need air gaps in this particular wall style, it would be something you would not have to worry about.

BRICK_CMU_BRICK.dwg

• 4 months later...

What about a synthetic stone wall. I understand how to make a new wall, I just have trouble trying to get a hatch to somewhat represent random stonework. I am drawing a fireplace insert where I will have stud wall then 1/2" sheathing, 1/8 lath, then 2.25 ave stone thickness.

plus if it was a stud wall w/ 1/2 sheetrock and just in a 5ft x 5ft section around the fireplace insert is stonwork as above.

What about a synthetic stone wall. I understand how to make a new wall, I just have trouble trying to get a hatch to somewhat represent random stonework. I am drawing a fireplace insert where I will have stud wall then 1/2" sheathing, 1/8 lath, then 2.25 ave stone thickness.

plus if it was a stud wall w/ 1/2 sheetrock and just in a 5ft x 5ft section around the fireplace insert is stonwork as above.

You can modify one of the out of the box styles to match what you need. As for the hatch pattern, you would attach a hatch pattern in the materials tab under the wall style.

• 9 months later...

Hi Noahma,

Did you post the link to the relevant AU seminar?

I work for a small company and we have been trying to start using the Architecture functions of AutoCAD Architecture since Architecture 2009 came out, but we keep running into problems and end up reverting to traditional line drawings.

I keep experiencing problems such as window cill lines which don't line up with walls, (only when I make custom walls), loads of cleanup problems and endcap issues.

Plus, I can't see how to put studwork in partition wall types and changing the material definition on cladding panels is mind boggling!

All of the books I've read are pretty basic and unhelpful, so I would be really grateful if you could point me in the direction of something useful!

Obviously, I'm not asking for you to address all of my issues as this would be to take advantage of your kindness, I am prepared to do the reading and try to understand these things myself, but I don't know where to start!

I want to develop a really good grasp of how ACAD-A works so that I can use it productively.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Noahma,

Did you post the link to the relevant AU seminar?

I work for a small company and we have been trying to start using the Architecture functions of AutoCAD Architecture since Architecture 2009 came out, but we keep running into problems and end up reverting to traditional line drawings.

I keep experiencing problems such as window cill lines which don't line up with walls, (only when I make custom walls), loads of cleanup problems and endcap issues.

Plus, I can't see how to put studwork in partition wall types and changing the material definition on cladding panels is mind boggling!

All of the books I've read are pretty basic and unhelpful, so I would be really grateful if you could point me in the direction of something useful!

Obviously, I'm not asking for you to address all of my issues as this would be to take advantage of your kindness, I am prepared to do the reading and try to understand these things myself, but I don't know where to start!

I want to develop a really good grasp of how ACAD-A works so that I can use it productively.

Thanks in advance.

Well, The best book I have read is Paul Aubin's Book Mastering AutoCAD Architecture. Other things I have used that help is the Autodesk's forums for ACA. I play around with just about every single option and see what it does. It is a daunting task to learn, it is SOO flexible that it creates a complex maze of things to sort through. Look around the AU part of Autodesk's website, I am not sure where the particular classes are anymore, but they list the newest ones as soon as they are out. Paul Aubin teaches classes regularly at AU, and is a member of the ACA forums. IF there is any specific questions, feel free to post them. I have a very busy schedule now, but I do frequent these forums at least once per day :)

• 1 year later...

I'm a new user & was looking for tips on creating walls. Good to see helpful members here. Thanks for the wall type, Noahma, now I can check out & see how it's done.