line weight standards???

Hi!

I have been sifting round the forums looking for some help with regards lineweights and plotting.

I am having trouble getting the correct lineweights for architectural plans, which I want to get to a professional level.

Is there a list of such lineweight guide lines/ standards??any links?

with regards which to use for exterior walls? internal walls?? objects etc??

Im just not sure which weight to use for each to plot a really professional looking drawing!

any help greatly appreciated!!!!

The DOD A/E/C Standards are available on the Army Corps' site if you search USACE CAD Standards. Their manual has specific line weights and references AIA and US National CADD Standard.

I found it easier for my company's needs to make our own lineweight standards and incorporate it all into one standard CTB. For my company, I do CAD work for the government/military installations separate from the Corps of engineers. But there isn't really any one standard that is enforceable with regards to the government/military. I mostly see the National CADD Standard as a recommendation. There are alot of different variables also.. Using one CTB lineweight setup for all your drawings is also unfeasible and unreasonable. a CTB lineweight set up for Architectural D could make your 11X17 drawings look pathetic. For this reason, I created a standard lineweight thickness to each drawing size by creating a standard CTB (100% lineweights) and an alternative that can be used if necessary (50% lineweights) to make things more readable. I've only had to use the half-scale lineweights once or twice but it's nice to have.

What you could do, if you aren't doing work that requires you to adhere to a standard lineweight system, is simply create a standard CTB from scratch and experiment. It took me a couple days (working off and on) before i was happy with our own new standard. But we've used it for all our projects for a year now and we love it. I get compliments on how nice my drawings look. That makes all this nightmarish CAD stuff worth the heartache. The paycheck helps too. :)

Lineweight standards tend to vary by trade and profession. Is there anything in the book Architectural Graphic Standards regarding lineweights?

From the book Architectural Design and Drafting it is recommended that thick solid lines (0.6mm) be used for floor plan wall outlines, elevation outline, section, foundation outlines and beams. Thin lines (0.3mm) should be used for floor plan symbols, elevation and section features. It also recommends that dashed lines, center lines, dimension/extension & leader lines be thin too. Cutting plain or viewing plane lines should be thick.

It doesn't seem as though there is a lot of variation.

Yeah, we also use a .ctb to control line weights. Ours is roughly based on the DOD manual recommendations. Since we work with the Corps is makes things a little easier.